Car in Cape Town?

Jul 25th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Car in Cape Town?

When we travel, we prefer to sightsee on our own instead of taking tours. Is it easy to do this in Cape Town? We wanted to rent a car for four days and explore on our own. Is this a good idea? or will we be missing out by not taking guided tours?
Jul 25th, 2003, 01:55 PM
sandi

Certainly you can rent a car, have a good map and be ready to drive on the left side of the road and pay cash as the petrol station (no credit cards here).

But it's real easy to schedule tours in CPT, where you're picked up at your hotel by guide/driver and taken wherever you wish to go.

Scheduling a tour doesn't have to mean a tour bus, nor more than the two of you.

There is a great CPT guide who posts often on this board and the regulars have really gotten to trust his advise and he's got a great personality and sense of humor. So here's to Selwyn.

You can check his website:
www.ILoveCapeTown.com

or contact him: [email protected]

See what he suggests and how that fits with your needs - and see if his schedule is available for you.

Jul 27th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Hi Lisa1224,

Before I respond to your mail let me firstly thank Sandi for the kind words about me in her mail.

Now let me give you my take on the car hire vs tourguide situation by simply cutting and pasting from a previous answer that I have given to this question in the past on the Fodors page.

At the outset of this answer may I point out that I am one of those private tourguides that you could be touring with. With that said I am going to answer you with an enormous amount of experience.

In a nutshell in answer to your question if you can afford it then it certainly is worth having a private guide or joining a tour group.

My reasons for saying this are:

1. You will save an enormous amount of time seeing the area as you will not be wasting time travelling from spot to spot trying to find your way which should not happen if you have chosen a knowledgeable guide.

2. Both you and your partner will REALLY see the area as you will not be in a position of one of you driving and the other one nagigating; oops I mean navigating.

3. If you drive with a good tourguide you will more than likely be travelling in a way that you will see all the little hidden secret places that locals frequent as opposed to the normal touristy places that all the tourbooks suggest. In actual fact you should see the REAL South Africa

4. Depending on your guide for the journey you should be able to walk away from your visit to our country with a very good idea as to what we are all about in South Africa and furthermore how truly beautiful our country is.

The drawback to all of the above is that it will generally cost you more than if you drive yourself or tour on a group scheduled tour but then you have to ask yourself after investing so much money and time to simply arrive in South Africa is it not worth your while investing slightly more and obtaining a close to perfect holiday for your extra investment???

All in all the final decision of what to do lies in your hands however no matter what you decide I can assure you that you will be visiting marvellous new terrain and I am 100% sure that you will have a great holiday in our wonderful country. Enjoy.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread