Capitalizing on Great Deals!

Apr 21st, 2003, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Capitalizing on Great Deals!

I see some amazing deals on websites like mtbeds.com about last minute specials. Although most of them apply to SA residents, has anyone purchased these specials to get a great deal?

I'm just thinking about the outrageous prices at the Mount Nelson and Table Bay Hotel and how I can make them more affordable. Any ideas or suggestions???

I noticed that on mtbeds.com, Inyati has dropped their rate from R3000 to 1500 already. This is earlier than what is indicated on Inyati's website as their "low season".

The more I think about it, the more I just want to wait to book things until my trip gets much closer. BUT, at the same time I don't want to risk getting shut out of my desired accomodations by waiting too long!!

Its a tricky game because prices are rising 30% year over year, but also last minute specials can be great deals too. This is not even taking into account the exchange rate (if the dollar keeps weakening, it will be even more expensive). We will just have to wait and see.

Matt
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:51 PM

Matt,

The answer to BETTER AND CHEAPER accommodation in SA is guesthouses, guesthouses, guesthouses! Unless one wants anonymity I really dont understand why people who visit SA dont seem to understand that guesthouses beat hotels hands down when it comes to accommodation.

Owners of South African guesthouses are generally marvelous hosts. The ones that I use as a tour guide definitely are as such. With that said bear in mind that guesthouses represent excellent accommodation that is much more personalized at MUCH BETTER rates than hotels. To see what is available in the "better" SA guesthouse range simply go to http://www.portfoliocollection.co.za/

I must add that besides the fact that guesthouses are marvelous venues to stay in their rates also include a fantastic breakfast. At most venues one enjoys this meal in the wonderful, friendly, guesthouse breakfast room. Guesthouse rooms generally are much better than hotel rooms when it comes to size and facilities and please bear in mind that unlike the crazy notion that some people have about guesthouses EVERY ROOM in a respectable guesthouse has its OWN PRIVATE en suite facilities such as a shower or bath + toilet. When one stays at a guesthouse one has total freedom of movement and generally every guesthouse has some special attraction such as a fantastic view etc. What also is most important is that because of the size of the guesthouse you will NOT be in amongst the hordes of tourists as you might only have a couple of other guests at the guesthouse while you are there. One also generally gets to know these fellow travellers and many travel tips are shared over the breakfast table. Thus you get great accommodation, friendly personalised attention as well as wonderful value in a very safe place to stay when you reside in guesthouses and that is why I recommend them so highly.

All in all staying in a SA guesthouse is a wonderfully free and easy style of holidaying.

Makes you think does it not?

Selwyn Davidowitz.
[email protected]

Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Selwyn,

Thanks so much for the response! The website you recommended is a fantastic gateway to some of the nicest guest houses in S. Africa. I've been researching each and every one since i visited the site.

I have to say that I completely agree with you about the advantages of staying at private guest houses/villas as opposed to the commercialized resort hotels (table bay) or even just the overly expensive (mt nelson).

I have been sitting at my computer in awe after seeing the beautiful settings at some of these guest houses. And...i can't believe how affordable they are compared to the other hotels. 5 star inns are so reasonable considering the enormous bedrooms, beautiful private pools, great food, etc. They seem perfect for my honeymoon, as we can relax and really enjoy our surroundings, while not sacrificing accessibility to Capetown.

If you don't mind, I'd like to run a few of my favorite ones by you for some advice. Feel free to tell me if i completely missed the better ones, or if you think I would love the following:

in order of favorite-
1. Colona Castle
2. Cape Villa
3. Camps Bay Villa
4. AtlanticView Capetown (more modern, less authentic)
5. Maison Fountainbleau

I know you have been mentioning the cathbert country house... how do the 5 listed compare? Also, the closer to capetown the better, as when we are not relaxing by the pool we will be going back and forth to capetown quite a bit. My plan is to have my first 4 nights around capetown, next 3 nights on safari, and the last 3 nights back around capetown (so 2 different hotels in capetown for my trip).

I cannot wait!!!

Matty A.

Search this Thread