Capetown tours vs taxi vs car rentals

Sep 15th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Capetown tours vs taxi vs car rentals

We are spending a few days in Capetown before our safaris and were wondering if anyone had any advice about booking different tours to sitesee vs renting a car or even vs taking taxis everywhere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sep 15th, 2003, 11:45 AM
sandi

You can book tours through your hotel tour desk. Whether going out to the Winelands, or Cape Point, or Kirtenbosch Gardens and others - the tour desk probably has brochures/prices. Prices are reasonable and I believe you'll find it's easier than driving which is on the left side and checking a map constantly.

In an around Capetown depending on where your hotel is located, you can easily walk (around the V&A waterfront area) or take taxis if you're going some distance from your hotel.

Sep 16th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Hello Novsafari,

I have answered this question quite extensively in a Fodors thread of the past viz. "private guide and driver". As it is a long response all I am going to do is I am going to cut and paste from this thread and then modify my answer to suit your question

In a nutshell in answer to your question my answer to you would be that if you can afford it then it certainly is worth having a private guide or joining a tour group as opposed to hiring a car and touring yourself.

My reasons for saying this are:

1. You will save an enormous amount of time seeing the area as you will not be wasting time travelling from spot to spot trying to find your way that is if you have chosen a knowledgeable guide

2. Both you and your partner will REALLY see the area as you will not be in a position of one of you driving and the other one nagigating; oops I mean navigating )

3.If you drive with a good tourguide you will more than likely be travelling in a way that you will see all the little hidden secret places that locals frequent as opposed to the normal touristy places that all the tourbooks suggest. In actual fact you should see the REAL South Africa

4. Depending on your guide for the journey you should be able to walk away from your visit to our country with a very good idea as to what we are all about in South Africa and furthermore how truly beautiful our country is.

The drawback to all of the above is that it will generally cost you more than if you drive yourself or tour on a group scheduled tour but then you have to ask yourself after investing so much money and time to simply arrive in South Africa is it not worth your while investing slightly more and obtaining a close to perfect holiday for your extra investment???

There is also one very important factor in your favour if you travel in car hire mode and that is that it is wonderful to self discover places. If you are the sort of person who likes this happening to you then think about car hire as an option however do remember the penalty to pay is that you will more than likely see lees than if you went on a formal tour.

In terms of hiring a taxi to take you to venues I can tell you that this will be fine as long as you dont expect the taxi driver to authoratatively guide you. He/she will however be able to get you from place a to b at a pretty good price. Once again all depends on what you want and how deep your pocket is.

All in all the final decision of what to do lies in your hands however no matter what you decide I can assure you that you will be visiting wonderful new terrain and I am 100% sure that you will have a great holiday in our wonderful city. Enjoy.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Sep 16th, 2003, 06:47 AM
PCHsmiles

Suggest you contact Mr. Buz Beck who lives in CT and offers personalized guided tours of the CT area and the Peninsula. You can email him at [email protected]. A very reliable person - former history teacher who will offer complete insight into modern SA history and the areas you'll see. Used him several years ago, and it was one of the highpoints of the trip. Found him on this website.

Search this Thread