Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Capetown Hotels vs Guesthouses.. Nightlife vs Views??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/capetown-hotels-vs-guesthouses-nightlife-vs-views-506644/)

baemel Feb 23rd, 2005 06:58 PM

Capetown Hotels vs Guesthouses.. Nightlife vs Views???

Spending 3 days (early June) in CT with retired parents and while they will most likely be in bed by 10, the younger crowd would like to experience CT's nightlife. Considering the Victoria & Alfred but are looking for additional waterfront places to stay that have a central location that will appease an individual who wants to drink wine looking at the ocean and those who perfer to have a pint in a local tavern. Does such a place exist???

Kavey Feb 24th, 2005 10:52 AM

We stayed in a guesthouse in the Greenpoint area which is a really short taxi ride from the Waterfront but is a peaceful suburb.

We are definitely not into nightlife but certainly took taxis to the waterfront and other areas of an evening to go out for dinner.

We were very pleased with our decision.

Of course, being in the waterfront is excellent for shopping as well as a choice of eateries on the doorstep and is certainly a little more lively.

Is it also the area where nightclubs are to be found? Not sure.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Feb 24th, 2005 12:04 PM

baemel,

My feelings are that when you are visiting Cape Town one should always stay in guesthouses and not hotels. I say this because owners of South African guesthouses are generally marvellous hosts. Bear in mind that guesthouses represent excellent accommodation that is much more personalised at MUCH better rates than hotels. Guesthouses are marvellous venues to stay in and their rate also includes a fantastic breakfast. At most guesthouses you enjoy this meal in the wonderful, friendly breakfast room. When you are in a guesthouse you have total freedom of movement. It is a wonderful free and easy style of holidaying. What also is most important is that because of the size of the guesthouse you will NOT be in amongst the hordes of tourists as you might only have a couple of other guests at the guesthouse while you are there. Thus you get great accommodation, personalised attention as well as wonderful value in a very safe place to stay when you reside in guesthouses and that is why I recommend them so highly.

In terms of what you are trying to achieve I feel you would be able to attain success in satisfying the old and the young attitude at the Waterfront however you would not find this facility at a guesthouse as there are few that are very close to the Waterfront. Thus you will have pay much more for an accommodation facility at a Waterfront Hotel and just become another number travelling in Cape Town.

My suggestion would be that you try and book into a guesthouse in the Sea Point, Green Point or Camps Bay area where you could well find that your parents have a spot to sit and enjoy a bottle of wine over a sea view while the younger set catch a taxi and travel for 10 minutes to where all the nightlife takes place. A couple of examples of this type of accommodation would be:

Craigrownie Guesthouse
----------------------
http://www.craigrowniehse.co.za/

Wonderful venue. Well appointed. Friendly staff. Near the sea. A short taxi or bus ride away from all. Away from all the action yet close to it. A new facility at the guesthouse is a free broadband internet connection. 100 yards from the sea and only has partial sea views.

Avanti.
-------
www.avanti.co.za

Tried and tested ranking amongst the best value for money in Cape Town.
HIGHLY recommended. 50 yards from the sea but only has partial sea views.

The Bay Atlantic
----------------
http://www.thebayatlantic.com/Default.htm

Smallish rooms but wonderfully located in a safe area in Camps Bay. Magnificent sea views and fabulous swimming pool. Hosts (young and old) are very friendly and extremely helpful. This venue is right on the doorstep of the Camps Bay nightlife, as a matter of fact you could walk to where it all is happening with the greatest of ease.

Another idea would be to go for a self catering option in Camps Bay and in this regard Village and Life in Camps Bay would be a good bet.

http://www.villageandlife.co.za/

Excellent self catering apartments that are right in the middle of where it is all happening yet also are virtually on the beachfront where your parents can relax in their lounge till 10PM with a good bottle os SA red. :) The V&L apartments are also close to many great little coffee houses and restaurants where you can have your morning breakfast seeing that these venues are self catering places of stay.
All in all this option represents great value and is close to the seaside. If you are prepared to self cater Village and Life definitely is the way to go.

Hope this all helps

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

baemel Feb 24th, 2005 06:24 PM

Thank you for all the great info. Of the guesthouses you mentioned that the Bay Village was "in a safe area in Camps Bay" which begs the question ...is there an unsafe area?

Selwyn_Davidowitz Feb 24th, 2005 08:44 PM

baemel,

Good question.

The only reason as to why I mention the "safe" concept is because seemingly everyone who looks for a place to stay generally asks whether the venue of stay is safe, clean, well located and well appointed. I always try and help Fodorites who need help as far as Cape Town is concerned and I suppose it has just become second nature to address this issue hence my comment on the safeness of the area.

In terms of whether there be unsafe places to stay to my knowledge I dont know of any places that are commercial establishments, such as guesthouses or hotels, that I would rate as being unsafe when it comes to the Cape Town or Garden Route region.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

to