Capetown & Kruger in July

Jul 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Capetown & Kruger in July

Who has been here during this month? I know it's their winter. Climate/temperature/snimal viewing??
Thank you.
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:12 PM
DJE

I was in Cape Town in mid July "03 and we were fortunate to have had great weather. During the 5 days we experienced temps. around 19 - 21C ( 68F - 72F ) which was mild for winter time in SA. Also had wonderful sunny days. I know this is not supposed to be the norm. I can't comment on Kruger as all of our safari time took place in Botswana and Namibia.
Jul 25th, 2004, 02:37 AM

Karewernette,

DJE is quite correct about what happened weatherwise in Cape Town in July 03 and is also correct with the statement saying that this is NOT supposed to be the norm.

With that said if one judges the weather patterns of the past 4-5 years the goalposts are changing and that means that the norm has become different. I say this because as I write this post the sun is shining blazingly in Cape Town and in this passing month of July we have only had 2 overcast days with medium rain. The other days have all become known as the "Indian Summer" which Cape Town seemingly now expereinces in June and July with warm, sunny blue sky days and coldish nights straight after sunset. All in all there seems to be a shift in seasons as Winter now seemingly starts up in August and ends off in early November whereas years ago Capetonians would have already been swimming in pools because of the warm to hot weather at the end of October.

All in all the so called norms, when it comes to Cape Town weather, are changing continuously and it would be wise to view these standards with a bit of circumspect.

When it comes to the Kruger area I dont know whether the same weather pattern changes are existent so I cannot comment in this regard.

Hope this helps and does not confuse you even more.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread