Capetown and Durban

Apr 21st, 1998, 06:47 PM
Harris Reibel

Capetown and Durban

My wife and I will be visiting Capetown and Durbin in beginning of August. Any advice, suggestions, cautions?

Apr 29th, 1998, 01:15 AM
Roger Vineall

You will be there during winter, but Durban can still be very pleasant at that time so take a range of clothing. You will probably have some days when you can go to the beach.

1. Durban. Beaches are good during the day. There are good restaurants in the Windemere Road area. If you're staying for some time, then think about drives up and down the coast - as well as a few days in the Drakensberg. As with all cities Durban has areas to avoid at night - best ask your hotel.
2. Cape Town. It could be quite cold and rainy while you're here (day temps 10 - 15 degrees centigrade) so be prepared. But what could be better than enjoying a glass of good Cape red next to a roaring fire on a wine farm? If you've read any guide books, then you'll know about the Waterfront - which is worth a few visits. (For seafood, try the Musselcracker restaurant - an eat as much as you like buffet.) If weather permits, a trip up the cable car is a must, as well as a drive to Cape Point including Chapman's peak. Walk along Camps Bay promenade and through the Kirstenbosch gardens and I'm sure you'll get a good feel for the beauty of the Cape. As far as winelands are concerned, I'd start with Franschoek and move onto others depending on time constraints. Feel free to mail me if you want specific details. For accommodation check out www.portfoliocollection.com for a list of guest houses and B&B's

May 3rd, 1998, 10:13 AM
COLIN LITTLE

durban in august will be warm and dry - give the city a miss, unless u are there on a business trip. Move up or down the coast for good beaches, golf courses and reasonable accomadation - there are lots of inexpensive bnb's. If u can get north to Lake St Lucia for fishing and wilderness.

e mail me for more

Search this Thread