capetown - 7 days - small children

Oct 10th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

capetown - 7 days - small children

we are meeting my daughter and family - three small children in capetown for one week - appreciate ideas itinerary - is it feasible to do addo or should we stay around capetown - maybe several nights up coast at beach resort - will be going in feb - youngest is two - any ideas would be appreciated - thank you
Oct 11th, 2005, 03:04 AM

Elizabeth172

Addo is too far (850 KM)for you to want to travel in a 7 days stay in Cape Town when you have small children with you. Make no mistake the journey is possible but you will be doing this at the expense of sacrificing visiting parts of Cape Town. Furthermore to want to travel down to Addo only to see the elephant park would be a bit of a waste as there is so much else to do all along the Garden Route that it would be criminal to try and make this a whistlestop drive to Addo. Thus as much as Addo would be a wonderful experience for your kids, practically I would lean to the side saying that the reserve is too far from Cape Town for your purposes and Cape Town holds to much for you to want sacrifice in this regard.

You dont mention when you are coming to Cape Town and that makes it a little bit difficult to make suggestions to you with regard to where you should go for a short beach type vacation. If you could publish a timeline for your stay then I am sure that I and many others on this board could help you with suggestions in this regard.

As far as travelling with childern in Cape Town is concerned let me try and help you with activities that you should think of doing in and around the city as well as its surrounds to satisfy your children.

Visit the penguin colony.

Trip to Seal Island by boat

The Scratchpatch in Simonstown.

The Cape Town aquarium

Visit the World of Birds in Hout Bay.

Visit the working harbour of Fish Hoek.

Your children can have great fun with farm animals at the Barnyard restaurant
while you enoy a cup of coffee.

Visit the Butterfly Farm in Simondium.

Visit the Ratanga Junction theme park.

Take a ride up the cableway as you ascend Table Mountain.

Go up Military Way on Signal Hill so as to witness the firing of the Noon Gun. Kids simply love this experience.

Visit Kirstenbosch Gardens where uou can have a picnic on the lawns while your children roam freely on the garden lawns. Children simply love to run around freely in the gardens and in the process you could well find that your childern meet up with local kids as this is a very popular experience for locals to do.

Visit the "touch and feel" zoo just outside Somerset West where your children can interact directly with farm type animals.

Have fun at the Hugenout Chocolate Factory in Franschhoek.

Visit and pat the cheetahs at the Cheetah Foundation near Stellenbosch

Watch how wine barrels are made in Stellenbosch at Van Ryns Brandy Museum.

Visit and undertake the challenge of finding your ways through a real maze of trees in Green Point on the beachfront at a place called "The maze".
next to Putt Putt.

Visit an ostrich farm. Next to the Cape of Good Hope nature reserve entrance.

Go down to the Cape Town Waterfront. This is also a place where the kids can have much fun.

All of the above experiences can quite easily be covered by yourself in self drive mode while in Cape Town over a 4 days period and should certainly keep you and your children pretty active in my city.

OK Elizabeth172 heres hoping that all of the above makes you and your family's journey to my city a wonderful experience overall.

Hope all of the above helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Oct 15th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much - we will coming in february 17th -25th

Search this Thread