Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cape Town: where to stay in Tokai (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-town-where-to-stay-in-tokai-555528/)

Peter_Morris Aug 31st, 2005 05:08 AM

Cape Town: where to stay in Tokai

Am in Cape Town in November and wondering whether to stay at this new place called Stillness Manor & Spa. On the mountain behind Steenberg? Anybody ever hear of this place? Is it good? Checked the website out at www.stillnessmanor.com and it looks stunning but no-one seems to know it. Apparently new.
P Morris (NH)

50something Aug 31st, 2005 06:03 AM

It looks fantastic and is certainly new as I have never heard of it (I live in Cape Town). The area is VERY upmarket and I have no doubt that it will be superb. There are several of these boutique-type hotels that have sprung up in recent years in the Constantia and Hout Bay areas and most, if not all, are really superb.

Peter_Morris Aug 31st, 2005 07:28 AM

Thanks 50something. Appreciate the reply. Their rates are excellent compared to all the other hotels I looked at. R950 per person per night sharing in full summer season. All the others were at more than twice if not three times that. Jus twish I could hear from someone who actually knows the place as I am looking at staying there 10 days.
Apparently location is pretty good in terms of getting to the vineyards and the good restaurants as well as your local attractions.
Will I be OK if I rent a car? Easy place to get to?

Peter_Morris Aug 31st, 2005 07:46 AM

to 50something:
Spoke to a guy at Stillness by the name of Wilmot. Apparently they have views of the mountains, the Bay (?) and the valley (Constancia). The vineyards are next door which seems cool.
This Wilmot was 26 years in the wildlife business, gave me some really good tips on where to go for safaris and not get ripped off.
Appreciate the help. Only local I know at thsi stage.

50something Sep 1st, 2005 01:48 AM

What you have been told about the views and location by Wilmot is correct. It is very central to all those things you describe and at R950 per night you are certainly looking at upmarket accommodation. It is set in a beautiful area where houses sell for R5 million and up - almost a million us dollars which is very expensive by our standards.You will definitely need a car as there is no public transport anywhere near there. In any I would not recommend using any public transport in Cape Town other than metered taxis.

50something Sep 1st, 2005 02:14 AM

Incidentally the Bay that Wilmot refers to is False Bay. To give you a picture you would be looking out over False Bay with Somerset West and Stellenbosch in the far distance. To your right would be Cape Point,False Bay, and Muizenberg. To your left would be Kirstenbosch,Table Mountain, Cape Town,Sea Point and Camps Bay. Behind you is Constantiaberg Mountain and on the other side of that is Hout Bay. From this you can see that you will be extremely central.