Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cape Town, we need help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-town-we-need-help-352458/)

ram Aug 27th, 2003 12:16 PM

Cape Town, we need help.

My wife and I are thinking of going to Cape Town the last 10 days of November 2003. We are in the middle of the 30's and we have been in some of the most beautiful bay cities in the world like San Francisco, Vancouver, Sidney and Rio de Janeiro but not in the Cape Town.
We live in Buenos Aires and we are used to have dinner after 9 p.m. We enjoy walking around our hotel lookig for a restaurant and after diner having a coffe in a bookstore. In all those cities, even in Rio, we have found safe neighbourhoods.
I think we would rather stay in a "local" neighbourhood than in a place like the Waterfront.
What about Seapoint or Bantry Bay?. I'd really apreciate it if someone could help me with this issue and get me some advice about accomodations.
Thank you and I apologize for my bad english.

pchsmiles Aug 28th, 2003 07:25 AM

... reconsider - the V&A Waterfront is a terrific place, lots of fun, very festive.

How is BA these days? I stayed in recoleta and hit the tango clubs every night - 2000. Lovely city.

ram Aug 28th, 2003 06:04 PM

After the devaluation of our currency BA is one of the most inexpensive cities and becouse of that it is crowded of tourist and still alive.

traci_local_in_sa Aug 28th, 2003 10:30 PM

The sun sets very late in Cape Town and the locals only head out very late so don't worry about that. I recommend that you look at Camps Bay - it is more suited to what you are looking for.

ram Sep 3rd, 2003 09:07 PM

Thank you Traci. I was serching in the web and I found a lot of nice places to stay in Camps Bay.
Also I detected a neighborhood which seems very pleasant called Tamboerskloof, around Kloof and De Lorentz.
Am I right or this area is unsafe or seedy?

gard Sep 5th, 2003 06:49 AM

Hi

My wife and I have stayed at both Seapoint and Green point during trips to Cape Town. Cape Town is a wonderful city and I'm sure that you will love it :-) I have posted some pictures and some trip reports from our trips to Cape Town on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-) Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway

Smilesalways Sep 5th, 2003 06:56 AM

Camps Bay is nice, very decent restaurants. It's a bit far afield if your interests lie in CT. The waterfront area is ideal for people who wish browse, shop, just generally hang out. And you can easily get downtown or up on Table Mtn.

bonosio Sep 9th, 2003 08:34 PM

Voy a Ciudad del Cabo también a finales de noviembre. Varias guias que consulté así como comentaristas en este foro recomiendan De Waterkant Village. Es un barrio de casas construidas en el siglo 18 para albergar esclavos de Malasia. El barrio restaurado me aseguran es muy colorido y céntrico.
En su página de internet: www.village and life.com pueden ver las diferentes casas - interior y exterior. Suerte!

Petulia Sep 10th, 2003 02:53 AM

I just returned from a stunning trip in South Africa. Cape town is definitely the place to be. We were in Sea View , in a great place called Ashby's place right on High level street. Our room was big, clean and it had a terrace with a wonderful view on the Waterfront. Amazing!

DrG Sep 12th, 2003 04:35 PM

Camps Bay is romantic and very pleasant.
Gary