Cape Town travel tips - 4

Dec 14th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Cape Town travel tips - 4

Eating fish in Cape Town
------------------------

Eat and enjoy as much fish as you want in Cape Town this Summer, however if you arrive in Cape Town in the Winter period then think twice about the cullinary experience.

Cape Town experiences the season of Winter in the months of June, July and August. This means that temperatures range from 4C > 16C (41F > 65F). During the Cape Town Winter it will also probably be windy and wet and with that being the case it is important for lovers of fish cuisine to know that they wont be eating fresh fish in restaurants of repute. The reason for this is the local fisherman cannot ply their trade in these weather conditions. Thus the fish in restaurants will be of the frozen variety and if one does not like frozen fish then it is important to be aware of this fact. Needless to say sushi lovers should try to find an alternative style of cuisine to make their taste buds happy too.

Enjoy Cape Town when you visit us.

Dec 17th, 2002, 01:34 PM
james

Selwyn, why this odd negative message now?? Your advice is always welcome and helpful - but it's summmer now with great seafood available all over CPT!!!!

Dec 17th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi James,

When I post Cape Town travel tips on this page they are of a nature that one generally wont find them in travel books etc as they are based on my years of experience as a tourguide/operator. Most important is that the tips are not season or month based and are meant to act as a general guideline throughout the year.

I am sorry that you view the frozen fish tip as negative. I certainly dont see it as such as it IS a fact of life, whether you are in Cape Town or for that matter any other place in the world. I definitely AGREE with you that right now in the month of December fish in Cape Town restaurants are fresh and delicious but do bear in mind that many people who read Fodor are now planning their June-Aug trips to our great city and are reading this page with that in mind.

All in all NOTHING will detract from the fact that Cape Town is a great place to visit, whether you eat fresh or frozen fish. By the tone of your response you certainly seem to know this. Even if one knows how great Cape Town is as a destination it is always good to know beforehand as much as possible about any city that one visits, be it good or bad, as no city is perfect. With that said I have to conclude that Cape Town is 99.9% perfect excepting for June and July for those who eat fresh fish. ) The solution to this problem would be to eat some of our wonderful non fish type Cape cuisine which will bring the city back up to the 99.95% level especially for those who enjoy fish but cant find the fresh variety. )

James your comments are appreciated and I now hope you can see where I am coming from.

Fishy greetings. )

Selwyn Davidowitz

Search this Thread