idube in Kruger

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
clare

idube in Kruger

Has anyone stayed at the camp Idube, as it is cheaper than most of the others is it still okay? accommodation, food etc..
Also anyone done any ballooning over kruger? or from sun city?

thank you up front for responding positively, please don't bother if you have nothing constructive to say.

Clare

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:46 AM
x

Have you tried Kirkman's Kamp in MalaMala - very firstrate, and not terribly expensive - and it offers the largest land area for game drives. It also borders Kruger, and the fences diving the two are gone - the animals roam back and forth.

Just an idea: you really get what you pay for in these safaris lodges. I wouldn't let price be the deciding factor.

A final thought: Sun City is simply bad taste personified. Why not invest that money in your game drive? Of course, it really depends on your priorities - if it's the animals, invest there.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:13 AM
Deb

Clare,
My friend and I stayed at Idube in 1995. It is fine. The accommodations were pleasant, the pool area was well placed (enjoyed several afternoons watching the warthogs eating grass just a few feet away), food was good and our game driver and tracker were both very knowledgable. I will always remember Idube fondly as I fulfilled my dream of seeing the Big Five (on my other trips, I had never seen a leopard - it made the trip).

Deb

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
x

I'm sure Idube is a good camp. But a suggestion: you might wish to look at the size of the area the various camps have at their private disposal for game viewing. You need to think about size and location because the animals move around constantly. Each lodge has good rangers and trackers, and there is a network of information about where various game may be found.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:36 AM
clare

Thank you for all the positive and constructive comments

clare

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Rocco

Idube has a new camp called Vuyatela that looks fabulous. You should also look at less expensive places in the Sabi Sand Reserve such as Chitwa Chitwa and Savanna. There are some VERY inexpensive places like Idube and Elephant Hills where you can stay for about 1/4 the price of the Singita's, Mala Mala's and Sabi Sabi's.
I believe on Idube's website you will find a link to a map of the Sabi Sand reserve showing the area owned by each major game reserve. You will see that while Mala Mala has the most land, other places like Savanna still have significant land holdings and places like Exeter, while still very expensive are miniature compared to the bigger game reserves. Good luck.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Rocco

Clare, I was mistaken...the website that shows the great map actually is on the Djuma website. I just updated an old post that I submitted so you could see the website showing the map. Good luck.