Cape Town township visit

Feb 17th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Cape Town township visit

We are visiting Cape Town for a holiday in April, and would would like to visit a school in a township, spending some time with a teachers and children. Does anyboby know if any township tours are able to assist with this request?
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Rod, I'm sure you mean well, but your question leaves me feeling uncomfortable. Suppose a visitor from Argentina dropped into my Calgary suburb and wanted to take up the time of a teacher or teachers as well as students at my neighbourhood school. If I knew my neighbourhood school acquiesced to such requests, I think I'd object to the practice. It's my opinion that the teachers and students at my neighbourhood school have better things to do than chat with every overseas visitor who wants to drop in for a visit.

That said, I did a Google search for TOWNSHIP + TOUR + "CAPE TOWN" and got links to several websites on the topic.

One example was a company called Green Turtle Tours & Safaris that offered a one-day guided walking tour of a township:

http://www.kasbah.com/tours/tours_more.asp?tourUID=1660

I have absolutely no idea of this company's credentials. As I said, I found them through a Google search. However, they perhaps would be able to offer you something close to what you're looking for.
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM

By the way, Rod, quite aside from the reservations I expressed earlier, I don't know when South Africa's Easter school holidays will be in 2004, but they typically run from late March through mid April. I don't know when in April you'll be in Cape Town, but that is another factor to take into consideration.
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Judy,
I can understand your post very much in terms of gut instinct. However, in many countries I have visited, in poorer districts, schools are so seriously underfunded that they have made the decision to build into their curriculum time for visits from travellers, who can a) learn about the real situation and join in any efforts to improve it b) donate books, pens, money for school improvements and c) talk to the children about the wider world.
I'm still not sure whether I think it's ultimately a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm in the luxurious position of not having to live that life and make those tough choices.
I hope my post will not be construed as argumentative, I strongly believe we are all entitled to our opinions, and wouldn't it be boring if they were all the same.
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM

I second what traci said. Do contact Selwyn about this. He does township vists and will guide you in the right direction. Selwyn took my daughter and I to visit a township outside of Cape Town this past Sep.. We didn't visit a school but we did meet a lady that is a teacher in the township. I can tell you it was one of the most rewarding eperiences I have had. Well worth the time,not to be missed.
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information provided, unfortunately or visit coincides with the Easter Holidays (we arrive in CT on the 4 April and depart to Durban on 9 April, so it is unlikely we would be able to make the contacts we where hoping for. However I?m sure there will be plenty of other aspects of township life that will interest us. Thank you all for your suggestions with regard to visiting a township, there are plenty of to consider.
Judy, I can assure you any visit to a school, house, or anywhere for that matter would not be considered without there being invitation first.
Rod
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:13 AM

>>>>>>Judy, I can assure you any visit to a school, house, or anywhere for that matter would not be considered without there being invitation first.<<<<<<

Hi Rod

My apologies if my initial response to you came across sounding heavy handed.

Hope you'll find your trip meaningful and rewarding in every possible way.

I would love to hear about it afterwards if you have the time to share a trip report with us.

Search this Thread