Cape Town Township Tours

Jun 29th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Cape Town Township Tours

We've settled most of our itinerary for late September, but are still pondering who to use for a tour of the townships. Unfortunately, Selwyn is booked with other clients during our Cape Town stay, so I need some Fodor's help!
I've looked at Ross Hylton Tours and they appear to be the sort of company we'd be happy to deal with. Has anyone used them and if so, what were your impressions?
Are there other/better companies for us to use?
Just a few conditions:
1 We want someone who passes on part of their fee to the township, or who support the townships in other tangible ways.
2 We are looking at daytime tours, to see how the people live, shop, cook and raise their families. Also, how the children receive their eduaction.
3 We don't particularly want to visit shebeens or listen to live music in clubs.
Any Fodor guidance here will be appreciated!
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:55 AM

when are you in cape town ? we will be there in september also?
Jun 29th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

mpkp

We're in CT from 24th to 29th Sept, before moving on to Stellenbosch (2 nights), Hermanus (2 nights) and then back to CT for our flight home to London on 3rd Oct.
Jun 30th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

I also notice thet Legend Tours run a township trip. There seem to be many choices, so please, please, please help me, I'm dithering!!!!
Jun 30th, 2005, 04:37 AM

GovernorPhil,

I have never taken a township tour because I work in townships from time to time in any case.

However, if I did tour a township I would find a tour-guide who lives in the township you are touring. I would NOT climb onto a Hylton Ross tourbus where my money ends up in the pockets of the shareholders or owners who are rich enough already. I'd like to gently nudge you in the same direction.

Now for my suggestion: what about emailing Selwyn and asking him for a recommendation for another tour-guide. Can't one of Selwyn's friends in Kayamandi show you around that township?

Jun 30th, 2005, 04:42 AM

PS: I know you mentioned in point 1 of your original post that you're looking for a company who gives part back to the community. This shows that you are sensitive to this issue and I appreciate that - but what I'm saying is that if I did such a tour I'd want all of the money I pay to go into the township.
Jun 30th, 2005, 07:37 AM

How much time dod you want to spend in the townships? Are you looking at a couple of hours or an all day affair?

We are in Cape Town when you will be there.
Jun 30th, 2005, 02:58 PM

If you would like to email me at [email protected]; we may be able to share Selwyn with you -- we have him booked for Sept 24,25 and 26 and will go to the township one of those days. Perhaps you could join us.
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

mpkp

Many thanks for your kind offer. I'll e-mail you separately.
Jul 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM

I just returned from my southern Africa tour, and Ross Hylton did our tour in the Cape Town area. They are quite good. The van is very comfortable, and our driver very knowledgeable. I do not know the details re RH's support of townships, etc. I think you will be pleased with RH.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Selwyn has saved the day by arranging for us to be taken to Kayamanda by a local leader of the community there.
I will post a trip report when we return from our holiday.
Not long now....well, September is not that far off.

Search this Thread