CAPE TOWN TABLE MOUNTAIN - HIKING

Jul 31st, 2005, 02:33 PM
mot
Original Poster

CAPE TOWN TABLE MOUNTAIN - HIKING

Ive heard you can hike up to table mountain and it takes something between 2 and 3 hours. Has anyone had this experience? Is is it easy to find the way alone? Safety issues? Worthy hike? Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:04 PM

Mot

If you do a search here you can find a previous thread on this topic. There's a very fit and trim guy in Cape Town called Selwyn who climbs Table Mountain regularly ;

I remember he posted some info about the hike if I'm not mistaken...
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:05 PM

.....my smileys never work!
Jul 31st, 2005, 09:26 PM

Hello Mot,

When it comes to climbing Table Mountain it certainly is a possibility and it can be done on 2-3 hours if you take the easiest of the routes available viz. Plattekloof George. While saying this bear in mind that there are over 300 pathways that one can take up Table Mountain with some being as easy as Plattekloof while others being very hard and only meant for the very experienced climber.

Most folk hike up the mountain and take the cablecar down. I suppose the main reason for doing things in this manner is that everyone likes to say that they climbed Table Mountain however another very good reason is that the down walk is rather hard on ones knees. Whatever you do if you decide to walk up or down make sure that you do the following:

1. Carry lots of water with you

2. Ensure that you have something warm to wear NO MATTER WHAT the weather is on the day as things can change rapidly in this regard.

3. Make sure that you have much sunscreen applied and definitely wear a hat or a cap.

4. Carry a cellphone with you in case of emergency

5. Try to walk with others by waiting at the starting point for others to arrive and then join their walking party.

Do not underestimate Table Mountain in terms of climatic changes and things going wrong while hiking the mountain. Even though the walk up Plattekloof George is a relatively easy one even experienced walkers have landed up in trouble in the past so be careful no matter what.

When on the pathways you will find that they are very well demarcated and you will have no problem finding your way.

If you decide to do the hike have a taxi take you to the Plattekloof George start point as all taxi drivers know exactly where this spot is.

Climbhighsleeplow, there was a time when being fit and trim and climbing Table Mountain was part of my regime; Unfortunately with the ravages of time this is not the case anymore however it is a case of "been there done that" and in my lifetime I certainly have ascended the mountain on many of its pathways, however this has not been the case for the past 10 years. In essence I have come to a point in my life where the cable car is the easy way to do things so I say "why try and make life difficult" Its the same as Robben Island for me as I have completed 2 mainland to Robben Island swim crossings however these days the ferry is a much easier proposition.

Mot, Hope all of the above helps and that you enjoy our city to the full when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread