Is Samburu even hotter than Tsavo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone see Wild Kingdom's Heart of a Lioness and hear Saba Douglas-Hamilton say that it was 110 degrees in the shade? I don't know what month that was filmed but I thought to myself, she's got to be kidding! Anyway her comment has made me seriously rethink including Samburu on our next itinerary, but I'd like to hear of others experiences first. Tsavo in February was about as hot as I can handle (90's during the day but cooler, pleasant at night). Perhaps Jan can help as she has been to both parks on multiple trips. Also is it likely to be more humid in general in November? I just don't want to get there and be miserable. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I have only visited Samburu in August, when the weather is very nice, but I have to tell you that its a great park with some amazing, very different sightings (including the Samburu Big 5 -- Reticulated Giraffe, Grevy's Zebra, Gerenuk, Beisa Oryx and Somali Ostrich). Also, great lion, leopard and cheetah sightings, plus lots of elephant. Its a very different park, and a really interesting drive from Nairobi, although I guess many visit by plane.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:21 PM
sandi

Patty -

We've been in November. The weather was ideal and mild, maybe in the hi-70-s/low-80s. But do remember that November is when the "short" rains come to Kenya. During our stay, we had no rain at all, not even at night.

The temps in Samburu and the further Northern Terriroties are known to reach well into the 100s between January - March, whereas July - October are much much cooler. Likewise November is comfortable, and the possibility of showers.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Oh good! Glad to hear that temps are comfortable in Nov. Her comment on that show took me by surprise. Don't mind a little rain, just didn't want to find myself in 100+ degree weather. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Patty:

I've been to Samburu in both August and February and both times were extremely comfortable. In fact last month I needed to get up during the night and put on an extra blanket. Admittedly Tsavo can get pretty hot from about 2 - 5:30 p.m. (usually morning, early afternoons and evenings are fine).

My most uncomfortable moments are at the coast when it is not only HOT but also extremely humid.

Jan
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I was needlessly worried