Cape Town: Mt. Nelson Hotel

Aug 11th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Vickie

Cape Town: Mt. Nelson Hotel

I'm staying at the Mount Nelson Hotel in Cape Town for 3 days in November and would like to hear from people who have stayed there... I know it's a member of "Small Luxury Hotels", but how great was it? Room size/decor; food; pool; concierge; airport shuttle. Thanks for the info!

Aug 11th, 2000, 04:19 PM
john

Hi Vickie, We haven't been yet, but we just booked several days there for our Honeymoon next summer. Check out Luxurylink.com they have auctions and a research section with good info on the Mt Nelson including links. John

Aug 13th, 2000, 03:12 AM
Nigel

The Mount Nelson is an old British Colonial Hotel with the ambiance of a typical British 5 star hotel - rather formal (you have to wear jacket and tie in most public rooms).
The hotel has been surpassed now by the Waterfront Hotel and the Cape Grace Hotel, which is now the best hotel in Cape Town.

Aug 18th, 2000, 05:35 AM
Tracy

Sorry Nigel but I have to disagree. While the Waterfront hotel (I assume you mean the V&A) is lovely and a favourite of mine, and the Cape Grace is also lovely, the Mount Nelson is by far superior. She's not called the Grande Dame for nothing! Enjoy your trip Vickie - you will be staying in an absolutely glorious hotel in a magnificent setting. Yes it is old style colonial, for the airport shuttle just advise the hotel beforehand. The formal dining room will probably want a jacket and tie at dinner but is not so uptight as to insist on it at all times. Also, one thing Cape Town is not short on is good restaurants!

Search this Thread