Notices

Cape Town in winter--stay at the beach?

Feb 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Cape Town in winter--stay at the beach?

We're traveling to Cape Town in early July and thinking of renting a house along the coast near the city, such as in Camps Bay or Bakoven. Are we fools to stay at the beach in winter? Not planning on swimming, but it looks beautiful and low season rates are attractive. Are restaurants and other coastal businesses seasonal or will they be open in the winter? Any thoughts welcome.
Feb 13th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Hi there

We are from England originally and now live in Cape Town - on the Atlantic seaboard and July is one of my favourite times of the year. The weather is great - cool mornings and evenings, sunny days, a little rain. Our heavier rains are more of an August September thing. I am always advising people visit in July. Accommodation and restaurants are all cheaper that time of year and Cape Town promotes it as "the secret season". Our German friends tell us a Cape Town winter is better than a German summer.
Pick somewhere protected from the winds such as Fresnaye or Bantry Bay - Camps Bay can be very windy as can Bakoven.

Nothing closes in winter, Cape Town and its suburbs are very cosmopolitan.

Keep in mind that houses here do not have central heating, we don't need it. Dress in layers and you will be fine
Take a look at a trip report I posted on Fodors recently for some more ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...iders-view.cfm

Friends of ours recently rented a villa – www.hamiltonhousecapetown.com – they loved it.

If you need any more advice just post here, or you can mail me on [email protected]

Happy planning
CTCT

Search this Thread