Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cape Town in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-town-in-july-192327/)

jm1029 Apr 4th, 2002 01:50 PM

Cape Town in July

Will be going to Cape Town in July. I have read that it is cold, rainy and windy, with some nice days. I would prefer to do it some season other than Winter but have no option. Is Cape Town worth doing in July and what about visibility. Thanks for the help.

Sue Apr 5th, 2002 06:14 AM

Yes, it is winter but depending on where you live you may find the temps mild. You may be lucky and have no rain - there is no telling. What do mean visibility? Do you mean from Table Mountain, Boyes Drive, Signal Hill???<BR>

jm1029 Apr 5th, 2002 07:31 AM

thanks for the response. I am referring to visibility from Table Mountain.

paula Apr 5th, 2002 11:18 AM

Hi jm. Do you have to go to Cape Town? It will probably rain in the winter. I live in Johannesburg and we have a different climate altogther in winter. It's quite cold, but almost always dry and sunny. If you came this way you could go to the Kruger and do a safari. My father comes out from the UK every year in winter and loves the weather in this region. Winter with sunshine still hasn't worn off on me after 5 years! Cape Town is a beautiful place, but not somewhere I would want to be in winter.

Lisa Apr 5th, 2002 01:37 PM

YOu can hit some good days if you are lucky. Cape Town is too beautiful to miss. I would still go and know that you are taking your chances. Hopefully you won't only be in Cape Town but as Sue suggested you will be going ot some game reserves as well. Just take warm clothes for the game drives.

jm1029 Apr 6th, 2002 07:42 AM

Thanks for your responses. For further clarification, we are going in July 2003 and our itinerary includes Singita, Phinda, Isandlwana, Xigera and Little Mombo in Botwsana and Sussi and Chuma in Zambia. We were going to start in Cape Town but we were concerned about the weather.<BR><BR>Also, if you can, I understand it is cold at night but how is sleeping in the tented camps without heat. Our TA says it is no problem but I am curious.

paula Apr 6th, 2002 10:51 AM

Wow! If you are doing all of that then definitely take the chance and go to Cape Town, it could be fine as Lisa says, and if it isn't, well you've got a great trip planned so it's not likely to be so bad that it would ruin things for you. Tented camps with no heat? Well I would think it would be pretty cold, but the kind of places you are going to will ensure that you are comfortable, so I really wouldn't worry about it! Game drives (especially those early morning ones) will be COLD, so make sure you have a hat and warm jacket. They will provide you with blankets etc, but it really is cold at 5am on an open vehicle in winter! Have a great trip! Paula

Nicole Apr 6th, 2002 06:29 PM

Wow, you are going to many of the places I am thinking about going in August 2004 (Singita, Phinda and Little Mombo)...I know your trip is a long way off, but if you get a chance, post a trip report when you get back-it would be really helpful! About having no heat in the tents, I know nothing first hand about the weather there, but I would guess that no heat in the winter is at least better than no A/C in the summer. I'm sure they could probably provide an extra blanket or two.

tracy Apr 8th, 2002 05:20 AM

Cape Town in July is a gamble weatherwise, it could be fine or you could face a deluge. The only thing you can do is take a raincoat and umbrella. The mountain is closed when visibility is poor, which can happen at any time of the year and not only winter. Winter nights are cold - but we are not talking sub-zero! Do not give the "no heat" comment a second thought in Botswana and Zambia, you will definitely not need it. When in SA though the temperature at worst drops to just below zero (that's centrigrade! I don't know what that means in Fahrenheit) in the small hours of the morning before sunrise. To cut down on packing I would suggest that you bring along some thermal underwear for evenings and to sleep in - you should then be more than comfortable.

jm1029 Apr 8th, 2002 07:30 AM

Thanks much for all of your helpful comments. That is what makes these forums so beneficial.