Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just curious if anybody knows of any other competent African travel forums???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a junkie and I need more Africa!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 09:11 PM

Competent..I don't know. But I tried www.Frommers.com and you can "search in" their "m boards" (message boards). I've not spent too much time on this site so I'm not used to the format, but give it a try.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:02 PM

The Lonely Planet's thorntree message board (http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/) is very good for Africa. It's slightly more backpacker-oriented, but not exclusively. Much good advice to be found there!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:24 AM

You can sometimes find stuff on the igougo message boards.. <BR><BR>But you have to wade through the stuff about being a guide (a guide is one of the people who writes the travel reports the site is made up of).
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:06 AM

You could try http://www.aardvarktravel.net/golf-travel-packages-forum/<BR>or there is roughguides.atinfopop.com<BR><BR>They do not get as many visitors but there are good questions and answers at both about Africa.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:42 PM

Check The Thorn Tree at Lonely Planet's website. It receives much, much more activity than this one.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

I visited Lonely Planet's &quot;Thorn Tree&quot; and while it does receive a lot more activity, an amazingly low amount of that activity is towards Southern Africa. Western Africa and Northern Africa receive a lot more attention than Southern Africa as does more budget-minded travel.<BR><BR>Anyway, it is a very good source for anybody interested in Northern and Western Africa. Possibly I just saw it at an awkward time and that there is usually much more on South Africa/Botswana/Zimbabwe/Tanzania.<BR><BR>It does seem like Fodors attracts more people looking for higher end travel.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:38 AM

Agree with Rocco...<BR>That forum does receive more activity than we do here BUT a LOT of the threads are simply not relevant (or interesting) to me and the kind of trip I want to do.<BR>That said, I am currently helping a friend look into options for a trip to Botswana and Namibia. His budget and travelling style are quite different to mine - he wants to overland with a small group - so I've been posting and reading TT recently to pick up some extra info.<BR>I don't like the board format as much there either - I would prefer to be able to see a list of threads by title only rather than all of the first post. I discovered that I could order threads by most recently updated or posted at the top only by registering and logging in and setting my preferences.<BR>Also I like the way here that we can open a thread without losing the list of threads in another frame within the window.<BR>Kavey
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:51 AM

I think it's difficult to compare this board with others like the Thorn Tree, as they aren't aimed at the same markets. Indeed, I find it very enriching to hear a wide range of points of view when I'm planning a trip. <BR><BR>Remember that the Lonely Planet guides are themselves (essentially) geared at budget travellers, so it's only natural that their forum should attract similar-minded people. The big selling-point of the Lonely Planet Africa board (I've found) is that it's easy to get advice from locals - straight from the horse's mouth, as it were (although that's not to say that locals don't take the time to post helpful information on this board either - far from it!!). The TT may not be so great for luxury accommodation recommendations, but for grass-roots info on how to manage in particular situations, i've found it to be invaluable.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Hanl<BR>Absolutely!<BR>I wasn't criticising the TT for catering to and mainly being used by a more budget crowd - that IS what the LP books cater to - merely stating that, because of this, it has less interest to me overall.<BR>There are still threads there that I enjoy reading.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Hi Rocco,<BR><BR>Here are some different type of South African travel forums to visit.<BR><BR>There is a very interesting new forum that has opened at http://www.safarinow.com/Forums/Default.aspx This forum will give SA travellers quite a good insight into what is being discussed amongst SA tourism professionals in terms of their views regarding some very pertinent issues. I have no idea as to how successful the forum will be in that it is still very new however with that said I must add that there are some SA tourism bigwigs contributing to the forum. Take a look and decide for yourself.<BR><BR>Another forum which is specifically dedicated to SA tourguides but which could be of interest to Fodorites is at http://www.guidesglobal.net/ Use the username = demo and password = demo so as to surf the site. Not really a travel forum but and interesting one at that.<BR><BR>Another &quot;so so&quot; forum is the newsgroup rec.travel.africa<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:30 AM

The Africa Guide has quite a good forum board - split into main countries and not full of repeated questions or advertising.<BR><BR>http://cgi.www.africaguide.com/cgi-bin/www.africaguide.com/forum/dcboard.cgi<BR><BR>http://www.africaguide.com