Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cape Town Help Needed--SIMPLE (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-town-help-needed-simple-147962/)

Mike Rogers Jan 7th, 2003 11:36 AM

Cape Town Help Needed--SIMPLE

Hi,<BR><BR>I will be starting my journey in SA from Cape Town or Port Elizabeth. Most likely Cape Town.<BR><BR>Could someone please tell me if there is any CONVENIENCE STORE/SUPERMARKET in the waterfront area or nearby where I can pick up items like:<BR><BR>a)Bottled Water<BR>b)Toiletries<BR>c)Health and Hygiene Products<BR>d)First Aid<BR>e)Crisps, Chocolates, Snacks<BR>f)Condoms<BR><BR>I will be driving with my wife our starting destination and would like to stock up by visiting a nice convenience store. Obviously we are looking for fair prices and not jacked up five star hotel gift shop type prices. <BR><BR>Thanks a lot<BR>Mike

RnR Jan 7th, 2003 01:05 PM

Mike, there are scores of stores in the V&amp;A Waterfront tarefront - simply go into the Mall building behind the open air stage where musicians are featured. You will have no problem at all! This place is fun central!!!

Selwyn Davidowitz Jan 7th, 2003 01:16 PM

Mike,<BR><BR>To obtain what you ask for simply go to the belownamed named stores in the Waterfront where you will find the articles you require at the best prices in Cape Town.<BR><BR>Pick and Pay<BR>------------<BR>Bottled Water - Pick and Pay<BR>Crisps, Chocolates, Snacks <BR><BR>Clicks<BR>------<BR>Toiletries<BR>Health and Hygiene Products<BR>First Aid<BR>Condoms<BR><BR>Enjoy your stay in Cape Town.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz

Lisa waverley Jan 7th, 2003 02:34 PM

Mike, Pick n pay is an excellent choice. To confuse you even further, for variety there is also Woolworth's (SA's marks and Spencers.) and Clicks.<BR><BR>Don't forget to buy some biltong(Dried meat/jerky),fruit juice in boxes - Liquifruit or ceres brands) and dried mangoes for the trip too. (They travel well and are DELICIOUS)Better do a taste test of the biltong first, not everyone loves it.

Mike Rogers Jan 7th, 2003 08:52 PM

Hi,<BR><BR>Are these stores CLICKS and Pick and Pay close to the HOLIDAY INN WATERFRONT?...<BR><BR>Does anyone know if they accept INTERNATIONAL CREDIT CARDS (VISA). Also, do they have a good selection including products from multinationals (Colgate, Aquafresh, Energizer Batteries etc.)<BR><BR>Finally, which is a good mineral water to buy?...I am not looking for the most expensive, just something reasonably priced and good value for money. <BR><BR>Thanks a lot buddies<BR>Mike

traci Jan 8th, 2003 01:16 AM

The V&amp;A Waterfront and your hotel are very close, at a push you can walk it but I think it's a bit far if you have parcels. There is a frequent shuttle bus service between the V&amp;A Waterfront complex and most hotels - including the Holiday Inn Waterfront. When you check in ask the front desk for the details regarding pick up times - it will probably only cost a few rands and you pay the driver.<BR>A word of warning - the V&amp;A Waterfront is quite a large and stunning shopping mall, you will be very tempted to buy a lot more than what is on your list!<BR>Pick 'n Pay and Clicks accept Visa and Mastercard, and you will have no problem finding the branded products you know. There are a number of local bottled waters available and all in about the same price range - my favourite is Valpre, it's available in 500ml and 1.5 litre bottles.<BR>If you are looking for a product of a more medical nature you may need to include a stop at a pharmacy - and there is a pharmacy in the mall.<BR>

RnR Jan 8th, 2003 07:00 AM

Mike, V&amp;A Waterfront is just like any fun mall in the USA - with ATMs, banks, numerous good stores to shop in, restaurants, etc. - Good palce to walk - and very close to where you're staying. Safe night or day! Have fun. Cape Twon is a world class city - no need to be concerned in the least about finidng what you need, even the condoms, although they might be in short supply of the ribbed versions. Enjoy your trip, Mike.