Cape Town for 10 Days: How to Split

Oct 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Cape Town for 10 Days: How to Split

Hi all,

First, thanks for all the amazing tips you provide, this is just amazing.

I am going with a few friends to Cape Town following a trip to Kruger (flight already booked). The question is:

Should we stay 10 days in Cape Town (and book an apartment/hotel accordingly in cape town)?

I am still not sure as to where we will go travel, but from searches I've done in the forum and on Google, some places are +200km away, which may require sleeping outside Cape Town). I was thinking of booking just 7 nights and travelling for another 3, but not sure if its the best option.

This will be mid-December, and any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel
Oct 28th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Are you comfortable driving a right-hand drive car on the left side of the road? I would suggest that you spend 4 nights in Cape Town, drive to Hermanus or Mossel Bay for one night, drive to Wilderness for one or two nights, and then drive north through George to Prince Albert, via de Rust and the Meiringspoort Pas (which goes around Swartberg Mountain) and spend 2 nights in Prince Albert from which you can take a tour through the Swartberg Pass in a 4WD vehicle. Drive back to Cape Town (or Stellenbosch or Franschhoek) for your final night before you fly home.

We just got back -- we continued along the Garden Route to Addo Elephant National Park, but having been to Kruger, you can skip that. We had nasty, rainy weather...but totally loved the amazingly beautiful Cape. If our weather had been better, there is a lot we would have done in WIlderness.
Oct 28th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response! So, I was thinking, first, in Cape Town, I'm not sure whether to stay close to the beach or in city center. I know it's a matter of taste (and budget), but I found a really cool place in the center but not sure there's much to do there and whether it would be better to stay around Camps Bay and the beach instead.

Regarding Hermanus and Mossel Bay, I see on the websites that they are mainly for whale watching? Since mid-December is not the season for that, maybe I should stay somewhere else instead?
Oct 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM

If you're a group of young guys, then definitely Camps Bay. Hermanus without whales is just another town, so yes, no need to go.

Mid December will be very warm, so pack accordingly. You might want to think about Knysna as about as far East as you'd want to go before heading back to CT.

Search this Thread