Reload this Page >

Tour Groups that go to South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Rosemarie

Hi <BR>planning a trip to South Africa and would like to tour with a reputable company. i checked out Smartours, Globus, spector travel and premier. I dont want to spend over $3500 for air from NY and lodging, and would like to go for two weeks. I would like to stay in nice hotels realizing for this price i am not gonna get five star.<BR>any suggestions?<BR>Thanks much, Ro

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:25 AM
traci

Hi<BR>I don't know tour operators based outside SA, but domestically the big reputable people are Thompsons, Seekers and Sure Travel. Don't have their site details but if you search I am sure you will have success. Do you specifically want to be part of a tour group? SA is easy to do by yourself. For reference I just checked the SAA website (flysaa.com) and a return flight JFK/JIA was quoted as R8500, divide that by 11 and you're looking at about $800 once you add in taxes. SAA are the only operater with a direct service between NY and SA, but you may be able to get a cheaper rate if you go via Europe. For local flights Johannesburg/Cape Town return will set you back about R2500. For hotels: 5-stars will set you back about R1300 per single per night; 3-stars about R600. Most international visitors want to spend time at a game reserve and the costs for these can vary widely ($50 to $250 per day) depending on what's on offer. If you do go it alone you will need to hire a car to get around. I don't know if this has helped much but at least you have a frame of reference. You may have more luck if you post your query in the South Africa section. There are a number of threads re inexpensive ways to get around, places to stay and things to do.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:25 PM
ben

did the smartours trip about 3 years ago.they do good job,use very good hotels-$2600 for 15 day from atlanta. am taking their may kenya trip which will be the fifth trip with them.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 10:21 PM
sandy

Look at Park East: www.parkeast.com and also Cox & Kings: www.coxandkingsusa.com

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:25 AM
Gene

I went with smarTours two years ago and am signed up for the Kenya tour for my fifth trip with them. I went to Hawaii with Globus but will not go with them again.<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:58 PM
Rocco

I recently purchased a trip to South Africa on a website called Skyauction.com. The trip features air from NY or Atlanta but you can add air from other destinations for a reasonable price (I had to pay $250 for air from L.A.). <BR>The trip features an overnight in Johannesburg, followed by two nights in the Krueger National Game Reserve (Skukuza), followed by four nights in Cape Town at a 3 star hotel. I believe everyday has breakfast and a tour or game drive. I was able to extend my trip for $100 per person (extendable to 30 days maximum) and with that time I am adding an extra week in which time I will fly to Victoria Falls on my own for three nights and also spend an extra four nights in Cape Town. I believe there are more of this particular trip being auctioned off and the average price has been $1500 per person (+ $295 service charge). So, if you don't make any modifications to your trip, it is possible to go for seven nights to Joburg, Skukuza and Cape Town for about $3,600 for TWO people. That may leave room in your budget to modify your tour and take a sidetrip to Victoria Falls or elsewhere in Southern Africa. I am doing the tour as is but the week on my own will be a first class affair.<BR>A similar trip with a tour company would be a minimum of $10,000 but I am doing mine for about $7,000. Good luck.