Cape Town - Buy a used car?

Mar 30th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Cape Town - Buy a used car?

Hello -

last time I wrote I was trying to decide whether to study at UCT or UND-Durban. I was leaning towards Durban but have made a 180 and pretty much decided to do Cape Town.
I am thinking that my experience in South Africa would probaley be a lot better if I had access to a car, after all, I only really have one shot at doing this right and I would hate to not be able to do things because of lack of transportation.
What are the realistic options of buying a used car for use for about 5-6 months? How do prices compare to the US?
I found a company online that "sells" cars for a set period of time and then buys them back at a previosuly agreed on price. They also take care of insurance and such matters.

http://www.driveafrica.co.za/

Does anyone have experience with them?

Am I right in thinking that a car would greatly enhance my experience? Or is it possible to rely on taxis and renting a car for specific occaisons. Thanks!
Mar 30th, 2004, 07:33 AM

I think it would enhance your experience if you had a car. I don't know the mechanics of buying a used car and then selling it at the end of your stay. However, I've heard of many people doing this when they stay in a country for a few months, as you'll be doing.

Here's an additional logistical consideration that I think is important. You'll need to line up a secure place in which to park your car when it's not in use.

Search this Thread