Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Cape town apt rental and general itinerary suggestions :-)

Cape town apt rental and general itinerary suggestions :-)

Nov 1st, 2015, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Cape town apt rental and general itinerary suggestions :-)

Hello,

We have begun planning our 4 week trip to Dubai and then on to South Africa. We leave Feb 2016. We have two girls, ages 9 and 13. We planned our stopover in Dubai-(plan on doing Desert Safari, exploring the gold, spice and textile souks, Jumeirah Mosque) and now are moving onto South Africa. We have a very rough idea of what our plans are:

We fly into Cape town and planned on renting a car for the month.

1. 1 week in Cape town-looking to rent a safe 2 bedroom in Camps Bay area (or if you have other suggestions for areas to stay...) then figured we'd explore that area-day trips to penguins, cheetah outreach, ? (-Budget for rental about $250/day)
2. 10 days to travel the Garden route-stopping at Addo
3. Drive back to Cape town
4. Back in Cape town area for about 5 days-???
5. fly back to states through Dubai

I've emailed a few places on VRBO for renting and am waiting to hear back from them. Seems to be a busy time and its a bit harder than I anticipated finding a place.

I'm hoping to get some ideas on good areas to rent an apt and any other ideas or suggestions you all can offer

Thank so much!!!
Shelly
Nov 1st, 2015, 10:28 PM

To me, that's a long time spent in Cape Town and the Garden Route. In addition to Addo, you might enjoy some time in Camdeboo and Mountain Zebra National Parks north of Addo. The scenery is interesting and there are animals like aardvark and bat eared fox that are rarely seen other places. Maybe some time in Storms River?

If you can budget it, you have time to spend a few days in Kruger. It's really the premier wildlife park in S Africa. If not, you may want to visit a private reserve near Addo - I am not sure about age restrictions, though.

There are many homes, condos and flatlets available in/near Camps Bay. I just don't know the best way to find them. Your budget sounds reasonable, especially with the great exchange rate right now. I wish I could help - but Airbnb is not big and VRBO may not have all of the many options. Tripadvisor might have some.

Have fun. It sounds like a great trip!
Nov 1st, 2015, 10:50 PM

There are a number of websites for finding accommodation in Camps Bay and close by areas. These are ones that I have usedbr />
http://www.wheretostay.co.za/region/cape-town
https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/
http://www.capestay.co.za/

You might find the same properties advertised on various websites though.

February is peak season and people book well in advance, I have had situations where I could not rent a car from anyone as they were all taken, so advance booking is recommended at that time of the year.
Nov 2nd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

christabir-Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are going to add a stay at Schotia Safari for a day or two and I will check out those other places North of Addo that you suggested. We have decided not to go to Kruger as to avoid the Malaria belt and meds and also the added cost of the four of us getting there.

Odin-Thanks for the websites, I will have a look at those for a place in Camps Bay...I wasn't sure where to look aside from the ones I've used for here in the states.

Thanks!
Shelly

Search this Thread