Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cape Town and Victoria Falls (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-town-and-victoria-falls-1721495/)

cgrahamadderton Mar 30th, 2024 04:52 PM

Cape Town and Victoria Falls

Looking for a hotel in Victoria falls area that offers airport transfers and activities. Also trying to understand the best area to stay in Capetown if I want to be walking distance to attractions and have nice views.

PhotoSafariCompany Mar 31st, 2024 09:08 PM

We highly recommend Victoria Falls Safari Lodge to stay at. They are helpful and have a beautiful setup.

ekscrunchy Apr 1st, 2024 05:35 AM

Walking distance to attractions would be around the Waterfront, but even from there you cannot walk everywhere.
Views are in the hills and would not be within walking distance to much.

There is no one location that is central, as attractions are spread out by long distances.

I love the Mt Nelson and its walkable to some sights.

Taxis are not expensive.

What sights do you want to visit?

cgrahamadderton Apr 3rd, 2024 01:54 AM

What sites do I want to see

In cape town I plan to do a winery tour, ocean safari, paragliding, eat yummy food, go to a museum. In Victoria Falls, I want to see the falls, swim in devils hole, game tour at Chobe. I don't have much time so just trying to be realistic with what all I can do. Also open to suggestions.

ekscrunchy Apr 3rd, 2024 03:10 PM

Well in Cape Town the things that interest you are spread out, so no matter where you stay you will need a hired car, taxi, or maybe bus, to get you there.
What is an "ocean safari??"
Do you mean diving in a shark cage? Or what?

Winery tour? A few in the suburbs of Capetown but beautiful to take a trip to the WineLands where (obviously!) there are many wineries....

Which museum in Cape Town?

"Yummy" food? What kind of food? What kind of budget?

Are you on a tight budget in general? Have you thought about the pricing of all those activities?

cgrahamadderton Apr 4th, 2024 01:42 AM

Budget

I wouldn't say I have a tight budget but the lodging cost in victoria falls is more than I expected 3 night at the Victoria River lodge is almost 6,000 for 2 people. I have marriot points I can use to cover the cape town hotel.

ekscrunchy Apr 6th, 2024 06:28 AM

What are the Marriott hotels in CT?

crellston Apr 6th, 2024 08:08 AM

Our one and only time in Cape Town was a week at the end of a long road trip around the country. We chose to stay in the city but if we were to return, I think I we would opt for one of the beach suburbs like Camps Bay (a bit more "relaxed" at night). As ekscruncy says, taxis (or Ubers) are cheap and plentiful so staying out of town a little would not be a hassle unless there for only a short time. As I recall we saw a few Marriotts , but most of the chain hotels will be around the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront Area.

One thing I found unusual and a little concerning when booking accommodation in South Africa is that just about everywhere wanted payment in advance and cancellations terms were not that flexible.

PS Chobe is in Botswana

mlgb Apr 6th, 2024 08:32 AM

There are a couple of Marriott Protea brand hotels that I might look at, "Fire and Ice" and "Sea Point". I wouldn't stay at the V&A Waterfront, just don't care for that style of redevelopment (YMMV).

If you are going to do an ocean activity out of Simon's Town harbor, it may be worth it to stay the night before in Simon's Town or Seaforth at a Airbnb, can see the penguins in the evening in Seaforth when they wander back up into town (or go to the reserve at Boulder's Beach (admission).

PhotoSafariCompany Apr 16th, 2024 04:23 AM

We can highly recommend Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, we use them for all our scheduled safaris as our base in Victoria Falls. They have hotel rooms and lodges, depending on your budget, as well as providing package deals. They can also arrange airport transfers.

Aldridge90 May 2nd, 2024 04:15 AM

Victoria Falls Safari is definitely the way to go, I could not recommend it enough

ekscrunchy May 3rd, 2024 05:16 AM

To me, VicFalls is a destination to see the falls, in the proper season and from the proper side, which varies by season.
A boat ride on the Zambezi is nice but for top game viewing I would head into a private concession with a large traverse area.
As I wrote, I would skip VF and spend more time in a game lodge. Think maybe both Sabi Sands (or Kruger) and Phinda, so you can remain in SA and not have to pay the high prices of Botswana, and the flights there and back.

I believe I recommended here or on another current thread, to contact my long-time safari planner, Lisel Matthews of SOUTHERNDESTINATIONS.COM. She can give you a general idea of what you could include with your price limits.