Search

Namibia photo album

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Namibia photo album

Since I have just reserved my next trip I know these from Namibia in November are long overdue. I was trying to caption all first but have never found the time. I tried to label anything that isn't obvious. I wish you all could come over for a slide show as the scanned pics loose a lot in quality.

Don't miss pic# 113 of the two-tailed lion.

Enjoy!
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...juz4u&Ux=1
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Hey, great photos! Especially the one of the lion lying down gazing directly at you. And, oh, the rhinos.

Thanks, PredatorBiologist. Did you post a trip report so I can follow your itinerary?

I had pretty awful photos from my trip to Tanzania. Then when I scanned some of them they were even worse. Any idea why this happens? (I think yours still look really good, by the way.)

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM

WOW! Great pictures! Now I want to go to Namibia! Besides the animals, the sand dunes look incredible! Thanks for sharing!
Dennis
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Leely: trip report can be found here
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...gist&fid=4

I didn't do a very good job of getting the pics and report out together.

I use a cheap at home scanner that simply loses a lot of color and some of the clarity from my slides which are very vibrant and sharp. I think you need a high grade professional scanner if you want close to original quality but I think it is about $1 per pic.

Dennis: I meant to give a disclaimer that if you look at these pics. it could be expensive as you will want to go to Namibia. It is a country of incredible scenery, great wildlife and delightful people. I miss it everyday.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Okay, yes, now I remember. What a way to honeymoon. And interesting about Rosie, the first female guide in Namibia.

And thanks for the heads up on scanning. I actually asked one of our production assistants at work to scan some photos for me; I work in "creative" and would assume we have top-notch equipment. But who knows.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Darn it, Predatorbiologist!!! You've just fanned my desires to go see Namibia to white hot. I thought I could wait a little longer to save up!

Your pictures drew me right in
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Femi: the same thing happened to me. You will love it when you make the leap.

Leely: Damaraland with Rosie was a truly special place - they were calling it Women's camp because the entire staff less about 2 people were women at the time. I have been working to sponsor a girl from the D-land community for boarding school but the communication process is slow. I want to continue to contribute there though as it is a special place with special people.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 07:47 AM

PredatorBiologist, thanks for all those gemsboks, elephants, lions and rhinos. I loved the seal pups! Do you have a scientific explanation for the two-tailed lion?
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I loved your photos and it sure makes me want to return to Namibia. There are just too many places to see and so little time! You have some great shots of the Oryx/Gemsbok. I don't see too many photos of them. I have a couple of photos but not near as nice as yours. Your other pictures are great too - thanks for posting them!

So how hard is it to climb the dunes? On my trip 2 years ago to SA we walked a sand riverbed for a couple of miles and it wiped me out. Are the dunes the same way?

They should advertise that 2 tailed lion - it should attract many people!:-"
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Nyamera: I'm pretty sure the two-tailed lion is the result of having the exact testosterone level of two male lions.

Sundowner: I think you are on to something here. I should donate the picture to the Namibia Travel Board - "Come to Etosha in Namibia to see the World's only 2-tailed Lion" Who needs white lions when you have a two-tailed lion -- now if I can just find a two headed lion on my next safari.

Thanks for the compliments. I was able to get some pretty good Oryx/Gemsbok pics because the herd was very concered with a single male lion laying under a tree that is grouped in that part of the photo album. They kept moving closer to the lion, snorting and stomping their feet. I also got a few good ones in the Namib because they would huddle under trees and not want to move out into the sun.

Climbing the dunes did take a lot of effort. You really had to take babysteps along the spine. If I took big steps I would loose ground and start to crumble some. My wife was actually a lot better than me at taking nice controlled steps. However, now that I know how amazing it is to run down the side I wouldn't hesitate to endure the climb again. Running and jumping down the incredibly steep side was one of the most amazing physical experiences I have ever had. Probably the closest thing to a moonwalk that I will ever do.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the slide slow and comments. A good education for those of us considering Namibia. You have moved that destination up on my list.

I loved the herds near the waterhole and the oryx shots. The ostrich parade was a good catch. Great you saw and photographed the rhino.

I recall your trip report, but will read it again in the context of the photos!

Where to next?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

atravelynn: No doubt the gatherings at the waterholes in Etosha are one of Namibia's greatest treasures. Witnessing the interaction between 7 or 8 different species of mammals at the same time is really special and goes well beyond just spotting wildlife.

Next trip: Botswana - the Kwando Circuit + Deception Valley Lodge in the Kalahari along with Madikwe and Cape Town/Winelands. Very excited!