Cape Town and Garden Route

Nov 1st, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Cape Town and Garden Route

My partner and I (both in our 30's!) are travelling to Cape Town for 2 weeks in mid to end January. We are currently planning our itinerary and thinking maybe 7 nights in the Cape Town area, for sightseeing and sunbathing, then picking up a car spending 1 night in Hermanus, 1 night in Mossel Bay, Plettenberg for 1 night, 2 nights at Kareiga Safari, 2 nights in Port Elizabeth then flying home from there via CPT. We would love to hear any views on this intinerary, especialy from people who have stayed in these places including Kareiga and also any recommendations of nice hotels (4 star type accomodation with pools and good location ideally).
Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:00 AM

Depends what you want to do but I wouldn't choose most of your places. Mossel Bay is pretty awful, Plettenburg is very expensive.

This is a mix of what I did and what I would do if I went again.

Cape Town, Kleinbaai to see great whites which is near Hermanus which looked fine. I was pretty convinced Mosselbaai was a sh*thole so stayed there one night. Wilderness is beautiful. Knysna is a busy tourist place burt worth a couple of days. Jeffreysbaai was OK, pleasant, nothing really noteworthy. Port Elizabeth was interesting as I stayed with a family who invited me to their home when I met their son on the shark dive.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:34 AM

Hey there, I was born in Mosselbaai - watch your language

On the other hand I agree with you! The Mossel Bay authorities were always ultra-conservative and never saw the tourism opportunities of my home town. Places like Knysna and even Oudtshoorn completely surpassed it in terms of marketing and general development with an eye on tourism.

Knysna took this concept too far (it is too touristy IMO with man-made canals, etc).

Hopefully Mossel Bay will find a happy medium between remaining real (what you see is how it is for the locals) and offering interesting options for tourists as well.

The harbor in Mossel Bay is a working harbor with many fishing boats and there are plans to develop this into something like the Capetown Waterfront - hopefully remaining authentic.

Mossel Bay is a real town where people live and go about their business. If you want to experience South Africans at work and play, then stay there for a night or so.

Walk around the point. Look at the surf and caves at the poort. Watch the surfers from the restaurant at the paddling pool. Walk along Santos beach. Take a boat ride around the island.

Search this Thread