Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   CAPE TOWN: African Villa or Boutique Manolo?? Need friendly guesthouse (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-town-african-villa-or-boutique-manolo-need-friendly-guesthouse-950009/)

Melissa5 Sep 10th, 2012 03:25 PM

CAPE TOWN: African Villa or Boutique Manolo?? Need friendly guesthouse

Has anyone stayed in <b>An African Villa</b> or <b>Boutique Manolo</b>, both in the Cape Bowl area of Cape Town?

I'm looking for a friendly owner-run guesthouse where the owners take the time to chat with guests and give advice each day. Looking for a friendly, comfty place to get a quiet night's rest, in a good location for doing day-trips in our car, using Cape Town as a base. A great breakfast is a nice bonus.

I had also considered staying in the southern suburbs, as we also want to see the Cape Peninsula, but then we would be further from Cape Town sites and restaurants. We will have a car.

Thanks for any comments!

baraca Sep 11th, 2012 12:49 PM

Hi Melissa5,

I have not stayed at African Villa but have made a visit and got a tour of it. The owners and the staff were extremely nice and friendly. The accommodations are in quiet rooms, on a quiet side street, within about 2 minutes' car drive to Mount Nelson Hotel on one end of Cape Town, and about 15 mintues drive at most down to the Waterfront. The exterior of the villa is in Victorian style architecture, as it was once a private home. The rooms are decorated simply and in attractive African/contemporary style. There is a large size communal kitchen which also serves as the breakfast room, and a lovely courtyard as a back garden, which goes along the side of the building. Parking is on the street in front of the proprety. I got a very pleasant impression when I left, again the owners (2 gentleman) run the property perfectly. Hope this helps.

Melissa5 Sep 11th, 2012 07:01 PM

baraca: Thanks for sharing your impressions during your tour of An African Villa. 8-)

africauntamed Sep 12th, 2012 12:09 AM

The house has the feel of an intimate boutique hotel because of its sophisticated African décor and generous facilities but the unique layout allows you to feel as though you are the guest of old friends on an urban safari.

Melissa5 Sep 12th, 2012 02:25 PM

africauntamed: I love your description of An African Villa. And by the way you have chosen an interesting name on this forum: "africauntamed" is great. Have you stayed in Cape Town area often? If so, which accommodations would make your "short list" as your favorites?

I am leaning towards An African Villa although Boutique Manolo also looks great. But I am also confused about whether the "Cape Bowl" area is best as a "base" for 6 or 7 nights, with a car to explore both Cape Town plus surrounding areas. I had also considered the Southern suburbs as a "base" for example. Each web-site and guidebook seems to favor a different part of Cape Town/Cape peninsula.