Notices

Cape Town

Oct 12th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Cape Town

Hi all,

I will be in Capetown for several days around Christmas, and am just starting to plan my trip. I was hoping to get some advice about how long to stay there. I will land on Christmas morning from an overnight flight (so there may be some jetlag). For the moment, since things aren't booked, we're flexible about the number of days. At first I was thinking 5 days / 5 nights, but I've since wondered if that is too much time? We'll have a car (so we can access the Cape Peninsula). And after Capetown will be going to wine country for 2 days, so I don't need to build that into my "days in Capetown" itinerary.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Oct 12th, 2013, 05:35 AM

Five days and 5 nights would be a minimum. I am in the city now, almost through my second 7 night stay (last trip was about 6 years ago) and have had little time to relax! Fabulous city that I think deserves minimum of 6 full days, bare minimum of 5 full days.

This is my second trip that has been arranged by local agency, Southern Destinations, and I give them my highest recommendation. I wrote a report here about my earlier trip which you will find filed with my other trip reports.
Oct 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM

https://garyandsusan.shutterfly.com/capetown813

This is the link to my photos from South Africa this past August. Scroll down to see the albums for Cape Town. We spent one day going to Cape Agulhas, one day at Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope, one day downtown and at the wharf. If you are only going to Cape Town, I believe there are some game reserves within 2 hours.
Oct 13th, 2013, 01:58 AM

Be aware that things get very booked up at Christmas in Cape Town, Start booking your accommodation and car rental sooner rather than later. Last Christmas, we tried to rent a car in CPT and there were no cars available with any car rental company from Christmas until early Jan. No cars of any type with any rental company, on-airport and off-airport, downtown, you name it we tried it. So we went to Durban instead (which we enjoyed very much).
You don't need organised tours unless you particularly want to. It's easy to drive around and see things at your own pace, Make sure where you are staying has secure parking.

Search this Thread