Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cape Grace Hotel or Mount Nelson Hotel in Cape Town??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-grace-hotel-or-mount-nelson-hotel-in-cape-town-156075/)

Rocco Feb 6th, 2002 02:47 PM

Cape Grace Hotel or Mount Nelson Hotel in Cape Town???

I am spending two weeks in S. Africa and Zimbabwe in March. The first seven nights is on a moderate tour that will take me to Joburg (1 night), Skukuza (Kruger National Park) (2 nights) and Cape Town (4 nights at the Cape Manor, a 3 star hotel).<BR>The next week I am on my own. I fly to Vic Falls vicinity for 3 nights at Matetsi Game Lodge and then return to Cape Town where I will spend two nights in Cape Town (hotel still undetermined, hence the reason for this post) and two nights in Paarl at the Grande Roche Hotel.<BR>I am torn between staying at the Cape Grace or the Mount Nelson Hotel. Of course the Cape Grace is one of the highest rated hotels in the world but the Mount Nelson seems to have a certain charm and history about it that I find irresistible. It is just unfortunate that I will waste 4 nights at the Cape Manor but since it is part of the original tour and I will be out and about during each day on various tours during that segment, I don't especially mind. I would appreciate any feedback from those that have stayed at either the Mount Nelson or the Cape Grace. Thanks.

pam Feb 8th, 2002 04:50 AM

Rocco,<BR><BR>I had the same problem when deciding on a hotel in Cape Town. We are in Cape Town for 4 nights and then we stay at the Grande Roche in Paarl for two nights. Afeter a bit of research, we decided to stay at the Cape Grace, we determined that it would be a lot less stuffy than the Mt. Nelson.<BR><BR>As a side note, we have already found the service at the Cape Grace to be outstanding. Ypou might want to also consider a dinner that they can arrange to a local home called the "African Feast". Apparantly, you dine in a home with the Twelve Apostles in the background. You can find more info on their website. It runs about $150.00 perp person.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>Pam

Rocco Feb 8th, 2002 05:27 AM

Thanks...I definitely prefer your description of the Cape Grace, as my wife and I are younger (30 and 29) and don't need the stuffiness.<BR>Our two nights at the Grande Roche are on the Grapes Of The Cape package. We are basically being wined and dined the entire time at the Grande Roche under this package and all for only about $100 (US) extra per night.<BR>Thanks again for the feedback.

Lisa Feb 9th, 2002 04:45 AM

Wow, I think that the price for the African feast is extremely high if that is Dollars and not Rand. The most extraordinary meal anywhere will absolutely be under $15 to 20 (and usually a lot less). Correct if I am wrong anyone who is there currently, but the best seafood platter should not be more than R130 (and may even be around R70- R90). With an exchange rate of R11 - 13 to the dollar, well.......

james Feb 11th, 2002 05:36 AM

I'd have another night at the Grand Roche. It's one of my favourite hotels anywhere in the world. My wife and I are the same sort of age as you , and we really enjoyed the Mount Nelson. The Cape Grace is new(ish) and lacks any great charm, although the service is good and you are right in the centre of the waterfront complex. The pool is miserable, whereas the pool at Mount Nelson is huge and surrounded by attractive gardens. Why not try both?! I agree with Lisa about the African Feast - it sounds an absolute rip-off! It is very difficult indeed to spend even $50 a head without eating too much and getting rather drunk. Give it a miss.

Neil Feb 21st, 2002 06:26 AM

Agree about the prices. We stayed at the nelson over New Year and it was surprisingly un-stuffy. The pool is better than the Grace and the hotel has much more charatcetr

Rocco Feb 21st, 2002 04:08 PM

Just as a follow-up, I ended up booking two nights at the Mount Nelson Hotel, two nights at the Grande Roche in Paarl (Cape Winelands) and four nights at the Table Bay Hotel. I would've preferred the Cape Grace over the Table Bay but it was unavailable for the dates I needed. 15 Days and counting until I depart for South Africa and Victoria Falls! :)

StevieB Feb 23rd, 2002 01:04 AM

Cape Grace every time. It's all about Location, Location, Location. The Cape Grace is right in the middle of the action on the waterfront. Within a short stroll of numerous restaurants and bars. I don't think I would relish walking to a restauurant or bar from the Mount Nelson's location after dark.<BR>Have a good trip<BR>Steve<BR>

x Feb 23rd, 2002 05:18 AM

We would like to spend one or two nights at the Cape Grace Hotel when we're in Cape Town. Has anyone gotten any special rates or good deals, or is the rack rate on the web pretty much what you have to pay?