Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cape Grace drive to shopping/meals? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cape-grace-drive-to-shopping-meals-309233/)

Clematis Apr 21st, 2003 03:14 PM

Cape Grace drive to shopping/meals?

I noticed another top guidebook said that to get to the waterfront shopping and restaurants guests will have to drive or catch a boat. I had heard from someone else that you just walk over a bridge. Which is it? It's nice not to have to drive every time you want to leave the hotel for dinner.

pattysuericia Apr 21st, 2003 03:23 PM

Hi Clematis<BR> Depends on how far you are from the waterfront. In my case, I just walked but I could have taken the shuttle bus to the waterfront if I so desired. You COULD walk. How far are you staying though?

Clematis Apr 21st, 2003 03:51 PM

Hi Pattysue! Sorry, I should have repeated my subject in the body - If one stays at the Cape Grace Hotel, one guidebook said you have to drive or take a boat to get to waterfront shopping and restaurants. I thought if you stayed there you'd be withing minutes walking of the waterfront and V and A mall. I know that Table Bay Hotel is connected to the mall but of course Cape Grace has more charm to it (but still at the waterfront).

Selwyn_Davidowitz Apr 21st, 2003 10:29 PM

Clematis,<BR><BR>Sometimes I freak out when I read guidebooks because they are so inaccurate and the one you are reading falls into this category imo.<BR><BR>When staying at the Grace you simply walk across a bridge and presto you are in the Waterfront. Total yardage covered = 300 Yards at most. Presently there is no waterway access to the Waterfront for the public, however from September 2003 there will be a canal with gondolas that will take the public from the new Cape Town convention centre to the Waterfront and vice versa. <BR><BR>In simple words for your stay at the Grace you wont need a car. Btw the Grace has a 24 hr service of free shuttles anywhere within a 15km radius from the hotel. <BR><BR>Another point is that imho the Grace beats the Table Bay hands down as far as hotel accommodation is concerned, that is of course if you want to stay in a hotel and not guesthouse in our city.<BR><BR>Enjoy our city when you visit us<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>[email protected]

Clematis Apr 21st, 2003 10:37 PM

Thank you, Selwyn. This was a major guidebook too. <BR><BR>I just looked on the Delta website and was surprised to see the JfK - JNB flight has one 1hour stop on the way (at 5 in the morning!). Why did I think there was a non-stop flight?

traci_local_in_sa Apr 22nd, 2003 01:20 AM

JFK/JNB used to only ever be a direct service. However, this now only operates on certain days of the week.<BR>Flight SA202 is the direct route and is available daily EXCEPT Mondays and Wednesdays.<BR>Flight SA204 operates on Mondays and Wednesdays ONLY and this has a stop in Nigeria due to a code share arrangement with Nigerian airlines.<BR>Have no fear, you will be on SAA equipment all the way, and I suspect that the one hour stop will be much like the stop at Sol Island when flying from JNB to JFK. If you have any questions about SAA services check out their website (www.flysaa.com) - it has useful flight information. I especially like the seating plans of the various aircraft. If issues like legroom are as important to you as they are to me (I'm not exactly short!), it's great to be able to pick your seat beforehand and be pre-seated.<BR>Essentially you are on the ground in Nigeria long enough to refuel, and a few passengers disembark/join the flight. I don't even think you will be allowed to leave the aircraft during this time.<BR>And I'd like to second Selwyn's feelings about incorrect guidebooks - I've been on the receiving end of bad guidebook advice while travelling. It's very irritating!