Cape Accommodation

Aug 4th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Cape Accommodation

Hi. I'm going with my husband to the Cape region of South Africa in October. I have booked parts of the trip (Kariega game reserve etc.) and have lots of information for other hotels/guesthouses.

When travelling by car in other countries, we have found hotels on the day and booked there and then. Is it necessary to book hotels etc. in advance in South Africa? If we don't book in advance, will we have trouble finding vacancies? I know in Italy, for example, the whole country goes on holiday in August, so we had real troubles finding places that either had rooms or were open!

Also, any review of La Splendida in Cape Town (where I think we should certainly book ahead) and Kariega?

Many thanks!
Aug 4th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Hello

It depends so much on the time of year - which you don't mention. During the low season of May/June/July and into August you could be fine following this tactic, but I would not recommend it for any other time during the year. It would really put a damper on your holiday if you can't find room at the inn!
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:57 PM

I went to La Splendida a few months back. I thought that the rooms were alright and reasonably decorated. My only bit of advice would be to definately ensure that you get a sea facing room / suite. The rooms that face to the back and side of the building over look Greenpoint Sports Grounds and it was not very attractive, there were lots of street people about. When I was there they were in the process of removing their swimming pool to make place for a bigger bar and lounge area.
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those responses. We are going in October, so perhaps I had better book places. You're right Traci, it could easily spoil our holiday if we can't find anywhere to stay.

Katycee - we have reserved a sea facing room, so that's OK. Funny they didn't mention that their pool would no longer be there! I think some haggling might be in order...!

Thanks again.
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Laryssa,

Hate to be the thorn in this all but I recently made a La Splendida booking for a visitor of mine. I NEVER book my vsitors into a venue that I have not expereinced or minimally done a good recognisance of so I went to the hotel and after spending an hour looking through the place believe it or not on the booking sheet I specified in BIG letter NON SEAFACING ROOM 2nd floor. I agree with Katycee that the back of the building faces onto the Green Point sportsfields but then it also faces the mountain which is certainly not an unpleasant view to behold. The sea facing rooms have spectacular views HOWOEVER they face onto what is probably the busiest traffic road in Mouille Point and with the windows in the rooms not being double glazed the sound of passing cars drones through the rooms all the times 24 hrs a day. It is awful. There are 3 floors at La Splendida and I visited every room that is seafacing on each floor. Every one of them had the same problem. I deliberated for quite a while as to whether I should even advise my visitors to stay at the hotel and after weighing up the pros and cons, with special mention going to the very good rates at La Splendida, I insisted on a back room as opposed to a sea facing front room.

That is my honest take on La Splendida and I say again my opinion was formed after a very solid recognisance trip done by me.

I suppose one mans meat is another mans poisin.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Aug 6th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Selwyn - thank you for such a detailed report! I will take your comments on board and try and book a room at the back - as you say, the rates do seem to be very good for the proximity to the Waterfront.

As for the other accommodation in the Cape, I have armed myself with some good guide books and think we will book places as we go, so as not to be too restricted to previous bookings.

Many thanks for the responses.

Search this Thread