Canary Islands Honeymoon?

Mar 15th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Canary Islands Honeymoon?

Message: My fiance and I are getting married in Italy on October 8th and then plan on honeymooning in Spain.

Originally, we planned on Andalucia for most of the trip (Zahara de los Atunes, Jerez, Arcos, Ronda, Sevilla and maybe head to Granada and las Alpujarras)and if we had even more time and money, Barcelona. Well, now it is proving itself difficult to travel from Naples to Andalucia without lots of flight changes, some extra money and time spent. On top of it all, my fiance wants a "beachy", "tropical" and RELAXING honeymoon (I like to explore cities and small villages with some beaches). Since we are spending a week on the Amalfi Coast prior to our wedding there (albeit with our families) and then heading to Rome for two nights afterwards, I feel like my trip reqs will be met.

Finally, my question is...

Where can we go from Rome relatively easily and cheaply for a "tropical" and "beachy" honeymoon in mid-October.

I was thinking the Canary Islands, but I am clueless about them and I've heard they are tacky???? Will we be disappointed if we choose them over our propsed Andalucia trip. The Costa de la Luz beaches won't be as warm as the Canary Islands???

Please help!
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:37 AM

The Canary Islands are part of Spain therefore in Europe. Re-post on the Europe board.
Mar 20th, 2004, 10:44 AM

First of all, there is no such thing as 'tropical' in Europe, not even the Canary Islands. Many north Europeans travel there during winter (we did, too) because of the fact that the weather is mostly nice.
Fuerteventura (one of the less tacky islands) has fabulous beaches, Gran Canaria (nice but very touristy) has some high dunes and a lovely beach in the south (Maspalomas area) - also a nudist beach.
I would advise you to stay away from Tenerife if you want a relaxing honeymoon. It's all neonlights, bars and disco's with loud young folks drinking and partying. Tenerife, by the way, has no natural beaches either.
If I were to choose I would definitely go for Andalucia, which is one my favourite areas in Spain. I haven't been to the Costa de la Luz (stayed in the Marbella area) but I've seen pictures of some very nice and wide beaches. And think of all those lovely white hilltowns and cities that are within easy reach ...
With a bit of luck the temperatures will be about the same as in the Canary Islands.
Happy planning!

Search this Thread