Search

Canadian driving in Morocco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian driving in Morocco

As a Canadian do I need to get an International drivers permit to drive in Morocco, or will my Canadian drivers license be okay?
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM
P_M

I am told that an international driver's license is simply a translation of your own driver's license. Although it might not be required by the rental car agency, I would get one in case you get pulled over by a non-English speaking cop. You can present your Canadian license along with the international permit.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I agree with PM. I had an International license when I drove in Morocco and although I had no problems, I did observe that the foreign driver was always considered at fault, regardless of who had caused an accident. Might come in handy. Not a lot of road signage, but very scenic. We did happen upon very poor roads, so extra water, food, etc is a good idea in case one gets stuck (we encountered few, if any, cars on the back roads). Enjoy!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM
pg

And another caution. Although it is relatively easy to drive in Morocco, be mindful of the speed limit, for there are cops every 100 kms or so with their radar gun.
When we travelled by road last month, we had a driver (mainly because for the Land Cruiser, with or without driver, the rates were similar). He was caught speeding and had to pay 400D as fine (he told me that cops were ready to reduce the fine to 200D - if he didn't need the ticket recipt).
I was also told that the cops are generally good to tourists.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Police in Morocco do not reduce fines - they are simply happy to accept a 100-200 dh bribe, for which they are happy to ignore the speeding ticket.