Search

Kimwhits- help on witwater please!

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kimwhits- help on witwater please!

Hi Kimwhits,

You are the only person who has posted on staying at witwater and I was wondering if you could tell me which accomodations you chose and in general about your experience, quality of the game viewing, etc...It would be very helpful as we are booking this weekend - and there is not much information about it since it is so new. It looks perfect though, and I am pleased to find what looks like a quality lodge without hoards like Kruger (we are going in October - high season) and no malaria. Any assistance if anyone else out there has comments is welcomed! Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Kim - you asked about Witwater in another posting so I responded there. I'm just adding this in case you don't pick up that thread again. I've stayed at the main lodge at Witwater and really enjoyed it. The rooms were beautifully appointed, I had a look at the tented type rooms and they look perfect for those wanting a romantic getaway as they are more secluded. They don't have the big five on the property, but I found the game rangers very good and the drives were interesting, even for our bunch of jaded bush babies. Service was top class.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Traci,

I actually posted, Kim hasn't stayed there, I had her confused with someone else. I understand they do not have lions and elephants but everything else. Was the game watching decent/were you pleased with it? I don't want to drive for 3 hours and see nothing...I am not too concerned about the lack of elephants and lions as after Witwater we are doing Addo and the Schotia
"tooth and claw" safari. But, I would like to see some giraffe and rhinos or hippos. Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:23 AM

Let me put it this way ...
We drove in the front gate and about 50 metres on nearly ran into probably the largest Kudu I have ever seen. On the few kilometres to the lodge we saw giraffe, rhino, wildebeest, impala, red hartebees, warthogs, zebra and numerous bird species. That's not on a game drive with a ranger but sticking to the "road" to get to the lodge! With leopard being the only thing I have not seen in the wild our ranger was tasked with tracking down the resident leopard which roams between the adjoining properties. Sadly, we were unsuccessful and this remains a gap in my bush experience to this day. It just goes to show that the bush is unpredictable and nothing is on a command performance. They offer a walking game drive which I recommend for a different perspective on the bush.
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Oh my!!! And I have to wait until October to experience this!! Thank you so much for posting. I think I am catching the SA fever....Yipppppie!!!!