Can we use US$ everywhere?

Aug 11th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Amy

Can we use US$ everywhere?

I will be taking a cruise that will travel to Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Greece and Italy. We will only have 1 day in most of these places. Can we use U.S. dollars for souvenirs etc., or should we try to convert small amounts to local currency?

Thanks,
Amy

Aug 12th, 2000, 11:39 PM
Myriam

I'm sure you can but the exchange rate might be not too good and most probably but you will get back change in local currency.

Aug 13th, 2000, 01:12 PM
Karen

The last poster is correctly. You'll get a horrible exchange rate and get your change back in local money. I'd exchange as little as you think you'll need for the particular country. And keep a few coins as souvenirs. Have a great trip.

Aug 14th, 2000, 10:03 AM
mm

I was in Tanzania last year. We used our credit card where possible. Some stores, but not the hotels, charge you extra for using a credit card (I believe it would be the merchant's fee that they pass on to you)so sometimes it's worthwhile to use local currency. Check with the store first if they charge the same if you intend to use a credit card. We never paid in dollars except when we paid the local travel agent (we made this deal to get a better price and so that we would not have to wire money to them). We exchanged dollars as needed with the best rate being at the Kilimanjaro airport. Make sure you always count your money at the window before leaving, preferably splitting the money with someone else in your party so that the counting goes faster. By the way, you really aren't permitted to leave the country with any Tanzania currency but by the time you leave you probably would have the equivalent of $5 or less. In any case, the customs won't ask you if you have left over currency.

Search this Thread