Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Can we get visas at the Isbania/Sirare border into TANZANIA ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/can-we-get-visas-at-the-isbania-sirare-border-into-tanzania-959519/)

hup234 Dec 17th, 2012 01:35 AM

Can we get visas at the Isbania/Sirare border into TANZANIA ??

Hi
Does anyone know if we will be able to get visas when we travel overland from Kenya into Tanzania via the Isbania/Sirare border please? (we are Aussies) cheers

canadian_robin Dec 17th, 2012 06:41 AM

Yes, you may purchase visas at the Isebania/Sirari border. We (Canadians) had no difficulty doing so - both in 2009 and 2012. The whole process of crossing the border (including the carnet for the vehicle) took just over an hour on both occasions, and it was the carnet that slowed us down - the visas were pretty straight forward. We had printed off visa forms from both embassy websites ahead of time, which speeded things up a bit. The border is a bit crazy and, if you are self-driving, it is not always easy to find the buildings you need. Beware of the "border assistants" who offer to help you with the border steps - for a fee, of course. They are incredibly aggressive and do not like to take "no" for an answer. One went so far as to grab my husband's passport out of his hand, and would only return it when I threatened to start screaming. We were surrounded by these touts on both sides of the border from the time we stepped out of the vehicle from the time we returned to it. They were really tiresome. CR

Percy Dec 17th, 2012 07:39 AM

Yes... canadian_robin, BUT you are Canadian.

hup234 says she is an Aussie. I just do not know about Aussies !!!!!

:)

My Visa episode at the Isebania Border went smooth as silk !!

No one approached us except to buy Bananas which I did.

sandi Dec 17th, 2012 07:45 AM

Aussies, Canadians, Americans, Brits, other... can all obtain Visas as the Isebania border. Best to download the Tanzania Visa form, complete and keep with your Passport to hand over to agent with correct fee due (USD$50/person).

As coming from Kenya, also be sure to have had your Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry to Tanzania. While there is no guarantee you will be asked for this... best to have than not. Seems it's hit/miss whether border agents will/won't.

Enjoy your holiday.

Percy Dec 17th, 2012 11:39 AM

Yes but not too many Aussies at one time.

They tend to scare the Wildebeests.

Why do you think those Kangaroos are always jumping about ( They're scared of the Aussies). :)

hup234 Dec 17th, 2012 09:52 PM

They are all 'hopping mad' Percy!
Thanks for the info. everyone. Will print forms out in advance and attempt to avoid touts ... cheers

Percy Dec 18th, 2012 07:14 PM

Your welcome "Mate ' !!! Good Luck %%-