Can this be right?

Aug 27th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Can this be right?

I originally booked a package safari which included air from Honolulu-SFO-JFK-JNB-CPT which was paid for and i got the tickets. Then with help from you fodorites, cancelled the land portion and booked a custom safari, which doesn't include capetown. so sent the tickets back to the consolidator and had them drop the air to capetown but they charged $225.00 per ticket. I think I should have gotten a refund, not a charge since some of the original air would not be used, thus saving money. is this right? now after looking at saa's website i should have kept the air and left capetown earlier in the morning for the flight to lusaka. Oh well, if anyone sees a man with one arm and one leg in zambia, it's me....this trip has cost an arm and a leg! but at least for next year i am prepared!
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Matnikstym,

I think you have been done in but cant explain how this happened. From my point of view the clue to story is that if you are travelling to Southern Africa you should never give up an opportunity to see Cape Town.

Watch out that you dont lose the other arm and leg when you travel.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Tis is a consolidator ticket which means the airlines have nothing to do with the pricing of the ticket. Consolicators purchase seats in bulk and resell them. You used a middle man and they make their own rules. My guess is that they do not give refunds at all and permit a change with a fee -- which is what you were charged. Many do not permit changes or refunds. You always need to know the rules before you purchase the ticket. Ask and document who you spoke with.

Search this Thread