Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Grumeti Camp late June or Migration Camp mid July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have a another question before I do anymore in our planning. Ideas/suggestions welcomed.

After reading/rereading the wonderful trip reports and posts to my questions, thinking in depth about what we want from the trip and studing the flight situation, it seems it might work to our advantage to do the safari first before we head to Cape town.

It comes down to this question:
If we have two nights, say June 23 and 24, at Grumeti camp or two nights at Migration Camp, say July 14 and 15, plus the drive to get to either camp, where do we have the best chance to see the most in diverse resident wildlife and what kind of animals? Or would Migration Camp be better even for June 23 and 24?

Either way we will have time at NCLodge and night/s before and after in Arusha.

As I said earlier, if we happen on the migration at either time, that will be icing on the cake.

Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM

In June, I would opt for Grumeti:

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/W...onthlyJune.jpg

In July, go for Migration Camp:

Personnally, by mid-July I would go further north to Sayari and Nomad Serengeti. The reason is not necessarily because Migration Camp has fewer wildlife, it is just that the open areas around the Mara River makes game viewing easier with less tseses. And there are huge crocs and hippos and more!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:42 AM

I had the same dilemma, and have also been looking at those go-safari.com maps... One thing the maps don't show, but is mentioned everywhere else, is that the migration actually leaves the Serengeti (or at least to a large extent) in July. They pass the Grumeti river and come back in in northern Serengeti.

So I finally opted for Ikoma tented camp (now part of Movairo, who also owns the KIA lodge). It's a private concession right next to Serengeti area, and the camp itself is only 3kms away from the official Serengeti "border". On the plus side: ability to go off road in Ikoma, do night safaris, close to Grumeti river & -tracks, and Migration camp area is easily reachable as well, and Ikoma is not expensive. Downsides; no luxury, rather basic camp. The lodge was a bit in a let-down state in the past, but apparently Movairo is now investing some money in it...

I admit it's a bit of a gamble. But then again. Life's a gamble anyway...
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:11 AM

Hi pixel

I have long given up trying to plot where the migration (biggest herds) will be!

So I decided to do something different and plot where to STAY rather than where to find the migration! I think if you stay within the white areas on my maps during each of the months, you will have a good chance of seeing the larger herds. You may have to drive a bit but that's OK!

On my June map, I include Ikoma as a good option.

In July I still like to go north inside the Serengeti because that area is so uncrowded and really beautiful and open. The area north of Ikoma is too crowded with villages and cattle and people.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I would love it if we had the time to go north, it really sounds great. Maybe next time...

I am leaning toward the late June time for the safari. I think we might do better with the timing and cut out a tight connection and a long travel day/afternoon from Dar to Arusha. Of course, the agent will have to rework every thing.....

So that leads to another question: Grumeti or some where in the central Serengeti? Where will we see the most wildlife and what types might we see? My husband would like the tented experience. Especially since we will stay at NCarter Lodge also. That is why Grumeti keeps comming into play. I want a few creature comforts.

Is there another camp more central that might be better for two nights that I am missing? We will be on a private safari. I know nother option is to spend one night west and one night central, would this be better for us? Two days in one place is nice, but we don't mind moving around either. I know most people spend 4 or 5 days split up, but we only have two so I want to make the most of them.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM

With only 2 nights it is best to stay in one place so you can focus on finding the wildlife and not on packing/unpacking!

Since you are doing CCAfrica, you could look at CCA Under Canvas. Their luxury camp is slated to be in the Central/Western Serengeti in June! This will be your best tented experience!

Grumeti Camp is still a great option at the end of June.

Migration Camp is probably my 3rd option here.

And there is SABORA PLAINS...!

I am somewhat amazed that you can still find room at these places.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
sandi

I can't believe there is anything available for end June. Unless, of course, CCA is squirreling their own props / at Grumeti!

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
bat

cwn's trip is in 2007. She is traveling on the Rovos Train.

cwn:
I would take climbhigh's advice and give some serious consideration to CC Africa's Under Canvas camp. I would recommend Nomad's Serengeti Camp (both Rocco and I had a good experience with them) but they might have a 3 night min.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks all.

bat, I will see what I can find out about the CCAfrica Under Canvas. I tired to find some info earlier, but guess I wasn't searching with the right words.

I will mess around with the June safari using Grumeti/CCAfrica Under Canvas and NCarter Lodge.

Never got back to CCAfrica about a driving safari, they said they would price it, so I guess I should try them if we use two of their properties.

Thanks for the answers. My husband is really excited about the trip! He is already talking about it to everyone that will listen. I'm excited too, but that just puts more pressure on me, the travel planner!