Can Roccco help?

May 23rd, 2005, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Can Roccco help?

Hi
We're going to be in south africa later this year(sep05) and only have a few days to visit zambia. I'd like to go to Lusaka and Livingstone/Vic Falls, but coming from Jo'burg...I thought something like Jo'burg-lusaka-livingstone/vicfalls-jo'burg but need to know what the 1)cheapest 2)quickest and decent options are for travel...
I've seen info on the translux coaches which look quite good, but don't seem to have availability for that time of year???
Any advice would be most welcome!
Ta
May 23rd, 2005, 05:57 AM
aks

I lived in Zimb for 28 years. Here's what I'd do. I'd get a travel agent who specializes in Africa - book a flight: Jo'burg - VicFalls-Jo'burg. Stay in the best hotel you can find at Vic Falls. See it all, do the rainforest, take photos, have fun and leave. There is NOTHING in Lusaka and I wouldn't use motor coach services. Have fun - Hope you have a good trip !!
May 23rd, 2005, 06:24 AM

anouchka,

I agree with aks that there is not much happening in Lusaka.

You say you are already going to be in South Africa, so there is really no reason why you should not fly direct from Johannesburg to Livingstone (Zambia) or Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe).

If you do decide to add a safari onto your Victoria Falls itinerary, then you may choose to visit Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, Lower Zambezi National Park in Zambia or South Luangwa National Park in Zambia.

Only if you were also including LZNP or SLNP would I suggest flying in and out of Lusaka.

A flight from Joburg to Victoria Falls or Livingstone should cost about the same as a flight to Lusaka, about $400 per person. The cheapest (and one of the best) safaris would be to fly from Lusaka to Lower Zambezi for about $200 per person for a return flight (round trip). Then you could either stay at a really nice place like Kasaka River Lodge or Chongwe River Camp for $285pp per night or you could choose a more budget oriented option like a 4 night canoeing trip with Chachacha Safaris (www.chachachasafaris.com) for only $440pp. This price even includes an overland transfer from Lusaka, making it about 1/3 the price of a luxury lodge option.

If there is any way that you can allow for a few nights on a Zambian safari, I would highly encourage doing so.

Best of luck.

Search this Thread