Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend the best way to get from Cairo to Luxor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 11:08 PM
Kelly

I will be traveling to Cairo in 2 weeks and would like to spend a couple of days in Luxor. <BR>Can anyone recommend the best way to get from Cairo to Luxor and back? Air or train?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 12:53 AM
Myriam

Air takes only 1 hr and will certainly be more comfortable than bus during summer season (haven't heard about trains). Egyptair has frequent daily flights. Take a look at their website: http://www.egyptair.com.eg/

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:06 PM
Jeff

Air is definitely the way to go. I was with a group in Oct that took the train from Cairo to Luxor (then on to Aswan). It's a long train trip (I think about 8 hours), and even 1st class is fairly primitive. Food service on the train is pretty dismal, to boot. We were the only non-Egyptians on the train. Not a problem, but the fact that tourists don't use the train should tell you something!<BR><BR>On the other hand, watching the little villages along the Nile pass by the train windows was fascinating.<BR><BR>Given your relatively tight schedule, however, I'd stick to air travel.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 06:20 PM
karen

I'm considering overnight sleeper train travel myself....Given the less-than-flattering comments, perhaps that's rethinking. My logic was that it wasn't taking time & I have a romantic nostalgic attitude to trains. But the disadvantage may be that you don't even get the benefit of seeing the villages along the way, which was the saving feature apparently?

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:52 AM
donna

My husband and I are taking the overnight sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor in October. I have searched a few sights and spoken to a few travel agents in the Uk. A lot of tourists use the overnight sleeper which is all first class, so I don't know whether the guy who said it was full of egyptians went during the day on the normal train. <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:03 AM
dave

We are going to Egypt in Sep and we are going to take the Wagons-lit overnight sleeper train. I heard it is not bad at all. I don't think you want to take the day trip because you are going to sit for 10 hrs. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Dianne

I took the Wagonlit sleeper in 1996 to Aswan and I thought it was adequate. At times it was a bit rough for sleeping, because they kept slamming on the brakes (I don't know why). Bring some snacks with you. Dinner was spaghetti (no sauce) and a banana. At least you can't get sick from that! Smoking was allowed when I went. I was a smoker then, but now that I've quit, it would probably bother me. The only thing I didn't like was that most of the ride was in the dark and I would've liked to see some of middle Egypt. <BR> <BR>If I had to do it again, I'd either fly or take a day train and see something.