Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Camps Bay to V&A or downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/camps-bay-to-v-and-a-or-downtown-677561/)

Naplo999 Feb 7th, 2007 06:57 AM

Camps Bay to V&A or downtown

How far is the cab ride from Camp's Bay to the V&A waterfront - how about to Kloof Street and downtown?

Is it hard to get a taxi from Camp's Bay? We were thinking of staying at Camp's Bay Terrace.

ellene Feb 7th, 2007 07:02 AM

A cab will run $20 us from camps bay to v&a. Any restaurant or hotel can radio one for you.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Feb 7th, 2007 08:08 AM

Naplo999

Whatever you do if you are going to stay in Camps Bay make sure that you stay at Camps Bay Terrace. I regard this as the best place to stay in Camps Bay.

Gila and Chris marshall are outstanding hosts
Perfect location with great sea views.
Wonderful setting
Huge rooms rooms that perefctly fitted out
Great value for money
Pure bliss bliss bliss! :)

Try to stay in the suite or penthouse. Absolutely fantastic.

Camps Bay is about 15-20 minutes away from the V&A depending on traffic while The Kloof Street area is about 15 minutes away with the downtown region being a further 5 minutes away.

An important point about something that you have said is that "Downtown" as a word is an Americanism. If you had to ask any Capetonian or South African for that matter "where is downtown?" they would either shrug their shoulders to say they dont know or else direct you to the bottom part of town. :)

Hope you enjoy your stay in our great city.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((R))nation of South Africa

Naplo999 Feb 7th, 2007 08:22 AM

Thanks Selwyn. Good point too, I guess I mean the City Bowl, not downtown.

If you were a tourist would you stay at Camp's Bay Terrace or in the Green Point area? I was thinking about the Sir Francis Suites. We do have 6 people so we'd have the 3 BR Lodge apartment. We'll also have rental cars - but will probably have drinks at night w/ dinner and most likely opt to take cabs. Is Green Point that much more convenient?

Naplo999 Feb 7th, 2007 08:24 AM

And we will be coming for the last week in July - so it will be winter.

RBCal Feb 7th, 2007 09:15 AM

In July it is too cold for the beach so I would stay in Greenpoint or the V&A Waterfront. That way you can walk to shops and restaurants and not take expensive cabs back and forth to Camps Bay.

kurt_a Feb 7th, 2007 11:02 AM

au contraire, RBCal. Camps Bay is a pleasure in winter -- not crowded and bursting with gorgeous sunsets. You can get in to restaurants and see whales and dolphins on occasion while you dine. Summer in Camps Bay is hot, hot and bloody hot most days, as well as crowded.

Besides, the water is warmer in winter...! ;-)

Listen to Selwyn -- enjoy Camps Bay Terrace.

Kurt

http://afrikatourism.blogspot.com

RBCal Feb 7th, 2007 12:34 PM

I would say it would depend on what atmosphere you want. I personally find Camps Bay far too quiet. You can see all the shops and restaurants in half an hour.

I can't imagine anyone swimming in July, even in September virtually no one was in the water when I was there.

Are you saying the water is warmer in the Atlantic than Indian oceans? This is news to me.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Feb 7th, 2007 03:30 PM

Napolo999,

I'm with Kurt on this one purely because Camps Bay will be empty and most important you will have hired cars. That means that within 20 minutes you can be in the downtown region of Cape Town or the Waterfront or Hout Bay. Dont discount Hout Bay in the Winter as it is a lovely village to visit at this time of the year. On the other hand you will have Camps Bay virtually to yourself which is so much better than in the Summer months when it so packed with people. You also will have no problem with restaurant bookings and you will probably be able to pick up good deals because it is low season.

If you are 6 people I suggest that 4 of you hire the penthouse while 2 hire the suite. I can assure you that you will NOT be sorry.

Where I dont agree with Kurt is that believe me the water in Camps Bay will be icy so swimming is out of the question. Anyway I think Kurt was being tongue in cheek about this after all he used a smiley after the statement.

Hope this helps you enjoy our city to the full.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((R))nation of South Africa

520 Feb 14th, 2007 01:55 PM

In November we stayed in the hills of Camps Bay and used taxis (Excite) for the first two days; I don't think they ever ran us more than $15.00 a trip and may have been about $12.00 one or two times. Our hotel would call taxisfor us and they would be there in a matter of moments, and we carried Excite's card with us and just called when we were ready to go back. We then rented a car, however, and enjoyed the flexibility it gave us. We didn't think twice about going back and forth once we rented a car.

kerikeri Feb 16th, 2007 08:08 AM

i'm surprised no one mentioned this so i will.

when i was carless in camps' bay my first day in summer (loved it- a place to walk in the morning and evening and a beach to myself), i asked the hotel concierege how to get to town and she suggested the red line trolley and sure enough within ten minutes for the price of a taxi i had an all day hop on hop off ride to and from the major tourist attractions- including table mountain.

i rented a car the following day to explore the cape, but if i hadn't i would have picked up another ticket to the blue line which hits the further afield sights. a great great service and i believe it was about $15UsD (99 ZAR or so?) if my memory and calculations are correct.

kerikeri :)