camping in Chobe?

Feb 14th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Lee
Original Poster

camping in Chobe?

I need suggestions for a few days of camping experience in Chobe. We are doing Wilderness camps in the Delta and would like basic camping for a few days in a more accessible area.
Thanks for the help.
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:00 AM
LizFrazier

The Shell Tourist Map of Botswana shows camps sites in Chobe. There are camp sites pretty much all around the edges of Chobe Nat'l Park. I will say this though, when we stayed at [email protected] Camps on a safari, we did have the wild animals right in the camps a lot at night. You could hear hyenas, lions, and leopards right outside our tent windows sometimes during the night. The next morning we saw their tracks in the sand. One night just before we arrived at Machaba in Moremi, a pride of lions circled the dining room without making a sound. When they were in position, the lead lion started in the door. If the camp manager hadn't been there, I'm sure the outcome would have been different, but all of the people got out by crawling through a window into the waiting jeep the manager had gone to get. The campgrounds we stayed at were adequate and had showers and working flush toilets and sinks where we did dishes after dinner. You could build a small fire under where the water ran to the showers and you would have hot water after a while. The tap water came directly from the nearby river and I got sick from some parasites, so you must carry enough water with you. You might find the Shell guide at a good bookstore. I bought mine in Botswana. Let me know if you want further info. Let me add that although I haven't stayed at any Wilderness Camps yet, I think it would be a better and safer experience for you. You must carry so much with you and of course have your own vehicle, etc. Don't know your circumstances, but it was a lot of hard work. We all wished we had been on safari and would gladly have paid for a room in a camp. No such luck. For us girls it was brutal, but the guys (there were two of them in our group) liked it. I won't deny that when we sat around the fire at night, the hyenas lurking just outside the firelight were fun to watch. We'd duck into the bushes and take pictures of them when they came up to snatch chicken bones from the coals. So you probably got more than you wanted here. tee hee Liz

Feb 14th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Lee
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Your trip was quite an experience. I was thinking more of a private operator taking us for 3 or 4 days.

Search this Thread