camping

Jun 18th, 1999, 12:51 PM
scott

camping

I am going on a 26 day camping safari with Drifters Adventure Tours via Namibia, Botswana and Zimbawbe in September. Has anyone done a camping safari before? I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences and what precautions etc I should take.

Jun 18th, 1999, 10:35 PM
April

Sure, lots of people have and survived to tell about it! I did one in Tanzania, even though I don't particularly care for camping. The tour company had very strict rules for hygiene - i.e. washing hands in a solution before handling food. Other than that, you just need to take your malaria pills, get shots before leaving home and take along bug spray/lotion and serious medication for stomach upsets. Don't forget toilet paper. I also took my own syringes just in case I needed a shot. Chances are that you'll feel sick somewhere along the way.

I don't know what Drifters is like, but if it's a bit on the rough side you may have to do alot of work on your trip, like gather wood, set the fires, manage the money, unload cookware, wash dishes, set up your tent and push the truck if it gets stuck. Some companies have cooks, others don't. (The quality and variety of food on our trip was surprisingly good.) If you're in an open sided truck, be prepared to get dirtier than you've ever been in your life. Therefore don't bother with white clothes. Take wash cloths for sponge baths in your tent (the truck had a shower but it didn't work). Also, depending on what elevations you get to, be prepared for cold. Many people seem to think it's always boiling hot in Africa. Watch for ticks.

Even if you've convinced yourself you won't risk walking in water, you could very well find yourself doing so and even bathing in it. If it's a possibility, take shoes for this.

One of the best things of my trip was that it was often off the beaten path and we went days without seeing any other travellers. Then there were the evenings around the campfire, the stars, and the calls of animals during the night. What I didn't care for was being on the move every day, but then I figure I can always go back and stay put on another trip. Thankfully there were occasional luxuries such as staying at a lodge or having lunch at a coffee farm.

My travel agent is partial to the areas you're visiting. I hope you tell us all about it after you return because I'd like to go there some day.

Search this Thread