camp sites serengeti opinions (EBEN)

Dec 15th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

camp sites serengeti opinions (EBEN)

Eben I have got booking for campsite NO 10 seronera, NO 7B moru, and NO 1 ndutu. How are these campsites from mid february.I at present have 14th,15th feb seronera,16th,17th,18th moru and 19th, 20th,21st february ndutu.
Dec 16th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Hi Sonali

We are moving (to a new house) and I have limited internet right now!

Those camp sites are all VERY good! Congrats!

You can see the exact GPS locations and pics of the camp sites if you download my Google Earth data file here:

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/serengeti.htm

I will visit Ndutu Special camp sites in 2 weeks and take more pictures as the Ndutu camp sites have been moved around a bit and my GPS locations on Google Earth may currently be wrong.
Dec 16th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Dear Eben, thanks a lot, now I can go ahead and tell my outfitter to book the sites. Best wishes for a peaceful and prosperous time at your new house.
Dec 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM

sonali74-where are you from? you have me beat for the quickest return and i only held the title for 1 month! (it doesn't count if you live in Africa!!)
Dec 16th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Oh I am so sorry. Well I am a wildlife freak from India. Where are u from???
How many times have u been to africa. I am addicted to serengeti,mara. Have u been to bostwana,chobe, namibia (gosh I donnot even know all the names of the parks in africa). I want to go there. I just donnot know any outfitters over there who are very good. When are u returning back to africa. U are most welcome to join me in feb.
Dec 17th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Sonali74,

At this moment your trip report is post #24 and your question for your next trip is #25. You certainly do win the award for the fastest return to Africa!

I will email you personally on this too, since it is not an Africa question. But since you divulged that you are from India and a "wildlife freak" perhaps you could share a bit about your experience with the best wildlife areas in India. Thanks!
Dec 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM

sonali-i'm from Hawaii in the U.S. and am going back to Zambia in March, 4 months after my last trip. after that who knows? on the list is uganda, namibia, botswana and malawai. for some reason unknown to me, the migration doesn't interest me at all. maybe with some more study it will and after Patty's trip to Kenya/Tanzania it is moving up the list of places to go and things to do.
Dec 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Dennis,
You're not alone! Thus far, I really haven't had any interest in seeing the migration either (sometimes I think I must be the only one). Perhaps that's because I don't know what I'm missing
Dec 17th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Well believe me guys once u see the migration u will want to come again and again to see it, Patty did u not see the migration on this trip to tanzania???? Dennis which parks are u visitng in zambia, pls let us know.
Dec 17th, 2005, 09:06 PM

sonali,
I was only in West Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. I didn't go to the Serengeti. In the southern Mara, we saw a few herds but those were the 'stragglers'. I'm thinking that's not what people mean when they refer to the spectacle of the migration
Dec 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Patty, then u must see the migration. It is really fabulous. I saw a huge part of it in june 2004 and I am longing to go back and see it. When amd where are u planning your next trip, keep us informed.
Dec 17th, 2005, 09:40 PM

I don't know when my next trip will be but you can bet that this board will know as soon as I do How many times have you been to Tanzania?
Dec 17th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Well my first trip to tanzania was in 2002 end, I again went in june 2004 and then in october 2005. This time the space betweentwo trips is small because I want to see the wilderbeest around the short grass plains, where u can see for miles and miles.
Dec 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Dennis,

I would say, that upon further review, you are still the champ of the quickest return!

It took me 15 months, and to be completely honest, I was not yet entirely smitten with Africa, but then again, I did not visit Zambia on my first trip, but instead slummed it at some South African place called Singita! Singita, Schmingita...the most luxurious lodge in existence is still no match for the authentic Zambian safari experience.
Dec 18th, 2005, 04:40 AM
sandi

Patty - you're not alone in not (yet) having a great desire to see the Migration whether in Kenya or Tanzania. It's never been on the top of my list when visiting to these countries.

On our very first safari back in '95, we did catch large herds in the southern Mara end-November, but this was due to fires in the Serengeti - the herds returned north.

Then this past June, we didn't catch the herds in the western Serengeti, but found them in the woodlands of the Seronera. We heard them for sure, but didn't see all that many.

I just go with the flow, regardless when I visit; prefer to be surprised with our sightings - "unexpected when looking for something else," - believe it's called "serendipity."

Maybe on one of my trips I'll come across the herds somewhere, maybe not!

Dec 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM

sonali-this trip i'm going to be in south luangwa for 11 days + 3 nights in london. 3 nights tafika, 3 puku ridge, 5 luangwa river lodge. the place i like in lower zambezi is closed for the season in march and since i wanted to spend my birthday at luangwa river lodge, chose to skip victoria falls this trip. also, i think i was on a budget this time and the flights up to vic falls would have put me over plus taken away time for game drives.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 08:10 PM
bat

sonali:
Good for you! Congrats on getting these prime locations at such short notice. How exciting. Are you still working with Sunny Safaris and will this be private camping? I am sorry that we will just miss you there.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi bat, nice to have u back. yes I am with sunny safaris, and it will be private camping. Is it safe at these camping sites???? I am travelling solo so I'am edgy about a lion walking into my tent at night. What do u think??
Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:28 AM
sandi

If a lion were in camp, even if there were two in a tent... "edgy."

Though animals on occasion will walk through camps, you'll be advised to stay in your tents 'til they depart.

Some animals are curious, but rarely will they enter tents... fortunately, we are not on their menu.

You should always be aware of your surroundings, but don't let this weigh on your overall safari which has come together very nicely.

Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Sandi!! I am terrified !!! It's Ok in a lodge at night when there is all darkness around u and you hear lions roaring in the distance. But at a campsite and alone, I really don't know. I am having second thoughts. Do u know of a outfitter who can give me only hotel bookings in sopa and seronera in feb, near ndutu I can stay at emc and use the vehicle/ driver guide of sunny safaris.

Search this Thread