Camp's Bay or V&A?

Jan 29th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Camp's Bay or V&A?

I will be in Cape Town for 5 nights and the winelands for 2 in late July.

I found a very nice and reasonably priced apartment for the group of 6 I am with in Camp's Bay. Is it worth it to stay in Camp's Bay or would we be better served staying near the V&A waterfront - which I know is more touristy...but keep in mind we are tourists and being central as well as close to great restaurants etc. is important to us.

Jan 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Camps Bay is nice in that you are right at the beach. However, the business area there is fairly compact (only a few blocks). You will have many more restaurants and shops to choose from staying in Greenpoint or the V&A Waterfront.
Jan 29th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Hello,

Personally I'd choose Camps Bay over the Waterfront. There are quite a few lovely restaurants in Camps Bay -- it's one of the new 'restaurant clusters' that has sprung up around Cape Town. If you did want to go down to the waterfront taxis are cheap and plentiful, and that way you'd have the sea views and avoid the tourist-zone markup that accompanies being close to the waterfront.

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM

We were in Cape Town in late November and stayed in Camps Bay at what is now one of our favorite hotels in the world, Camps Bay Retreat. We had been planning on staying in the waterfront area but an acquaintance who lives in South Africa strongly recommended that we try Camps Bay instead. The only caveat is that if you're not renting a car travelling back and forth by cabs can add up. There are some terrific restaurants by the beach, or going to any of the many restaurants in Cape Town takes no time from Camps Bay. After a visit to the V & A waterfront, we pretty much stayed away from it.