Camp ironing for egg larvae?

Dec 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Camp ironing for egg larvae?

I read somewhere here about the practice of using a hot iron on camp laundered clothing to kill egg larvae...can you tell me if the eggs come from insects outside (like flies) or from the water used? I read that this can destroy synthetic clothing...ie. nylon...and since much of our ex-officio clothing falls into this category...we're thinking of just washing them out in our room and hanging them up inside to dry. Will this work? I know there are two sides of the Fodor's camp who either love cotton or synthetics and hate the alternative for safaris. Would appreciate more information on the debate, since we have zip-offs and buzz-off shirts that we want to bring but don't want them burned up in the laundry.
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM

I wouldn't put a hot iron near anything that wasn't a natural fibre. Call me old fashioned, but I'm a cotton, linen, wool and silk gal. And, no one does my laundry but the woman (at home) who does my laundry; I rinse a few delicates.

I use my everyday clothing for Africa, never a synthetic or modern fabric touches my body.

You'd be better off rinsing out your own and hanging it to dry. The sun does wonders.

Dec 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM

You are thinking of the Putzi Fly.
One result of Google: http://tinyurl.com/3xlyqq
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
cw

Wash out your nylon-synthetic type clothing yourself. Send only cotton to have washed.

I think the egg larvae discussion came not from the water but from line-drying. I could be mis-remembering here.

But don't worry about it.

CW
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Yes, you would be wise to dry your clothes indoors and preferably behind a fly screen. Leaving clothes on the ground is the unsafe method of drying them as the putzi fly lays its eggs on the ground in particularly urine and fecal matter. When you place clothing on the ground, that is when it really matters that they are ironed after, which will kill any eggs that might have been deposited on the cloth.

It is unusual to find Putzi's these days in the sanitised lodge environments, however there was an outbreak along the Botswana border from Mafikeng to Potchefstroom back in Feb of 2006, where about 200 people were infected. The cayor worm is easily removed, cover the "boil" with vaseline and the worm is starved of oxygen and beats a retreat out of its comfy home. Otherwise, just tolerate the stowaway and the cayor worm will drop out after about ten days to complete it's growth phases in the open, so to speak!
Dec 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM

I learned the hard way that some camps use dryers, and my cotton pants shrank so much I could barely squeeze into them.
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your comments...never had heard of a putzi fly before! Will hand wash ourselves.
Dec 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM

But remember it is the drying part that is important.
Dec 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Also known as "Tumbu fly" in East Africa, if you wish to do some research.

In addition to the fly laying eggs on laundry that is hung outside to dry, be aware that you can pick up the egg from sitting on the ground.

KhakiF
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Something else I'm glad I didn't know about before my trip! That and the spitting cobras.

P.S., I had my various non-cottons laundered by the various camps. Nothing came back destroyed.