Camera equipment

Apr 30th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Camera equipment

My husband and I are taking our first safari this summer and we would like to know what camera equipment to use to get great pictures. What has worked for you? Obviously, we would like to keep it fairly simple.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
Sandy
Apr 30th, 2004, 02:12 PM

sandy17:

You may get other suggestions but I would suggest taking a video camera. I take 8 tapes for an 18 day trip. I also take a 35 mm. with an additional 80 - 300 lens along with 25 - 30 rolls of film. It has worked out superbly for me. When I get home I have my pictures developed and get a CD along with the prints which will allow you to load onto your computer should you wish to. The 300 mm. lens is great. I find I don't need to use binoculars - just look through the camera!

Jan
Apr 30th, 2004, 02:48 PM

As well as any replies posted here I'd recommending typing CAMERA into the search box as there have been a number of valuable threads on this in recent months that may be of use to you.

Many of us here take SLR cameras - those are the kind that have detachable lenses (named because when you look into the viewfinder you are actually seeing via a mirror through the actual camera lens itself and therefore seeing just what you are about to photograph). With non SLR cameras you can sometimes find a bit of a difference between viewfinder and camera lens.

These are great because they allow you to switch lenses going from a wide angle such as 28mm (which allows you to get LOTS in and is good for large landscapes and large group portraits) to telephoto zoom lenses which allow you to get up close and personal.

They can be operated successfully in automatic modes, allowing novices to get great pictures but you would still benefit from learning as much as possible about basic use of the features. You also need to be confident changing lenses on the move.

Alternatively you could consider a higher end compact camera which includes an inbuilt zoom with a GOOD range - maybe 28-200mm if possible.

I would NOT recommend APS film cameras.
May 1st, 2004, 07:51 PM

I agree on the video camera but feel that you should bring binoculars as well. The great thing with the video camera is the sound. Some of our greatest memories are those of the sounds and videos of local entertainment. You can now get video cameras that can take digital stills. Unfortunately for the higher resolution models (3.0 mega pixels) the price is quite high.

You should have a decent camera be it SLR or digital with a telescopic lense. I was surprised how close we got to most animals so a really powerfull lense is not really necessary. I found my 28-200 was very good and actually could have got by with less magnification. If you are going with film camera then you should consider different speeds ie many game drives are during low light so a faster film is recommended at these times. My preferred daylight film is Fuji 100 Reala; Agfa Optima 400 for less light and Fuji 800 for low light.
With film you must consider proper care ie less heat and reduce exposure to security xrays. I sometimes develop locally to avoid travel with exposed film. Digital does have an advantage here but you will need sufficient memory cards or a laptop or something to download to. They can be very compact too. Actually I carry one as a spare and ALWAYS have it in my pocket - you never know what you might see just in walking too to the dining room!
Cameras have come down in price fortunately, dont get a cheap point and shoot. A good one can be simple but still good quality - find a good store with knowledgeable help!
Bon Voyage.

Search this Thread