Camera (DSLR) cleaning supplies on safari

May 23rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Camera (DSLR) cleaning supplies on safari

I've seen several references to the amount of dust and dirt one can accumulate on personal belongings while on safari. This is no doubt a big problem for electronic equipment, specifically lenses and image sensors. While I'm planning to use UV filters on my lenses and will keep my equipment in a case, wrapped in a plactic bag, when not in use, this may not be enough. So, my question is: what cleaning supplies or precautions have some of you brought/used to keep equipment clean and functional?

May 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Lin

Hi cocco1, I'm sure you'll get some good advice here about camera cleaning supplies. My main tips are: put an LCD protector on yours or it will get sooo scratched, and buy one of those retractable brushes, so the brush stays clean. I found that my camera body took a beating simply by being around my neck in the safari vehicle. Not only will you be bounced around, but you will jump up and down to see the animals, and your camera is likely to bump against the metal guard rail or door many times. However I don't know how to guard against that! Your plan with the plastic bag is funny, because I thought I would do the same, but you should realize that your camera will be OUT of that bag the whole time. You will want to be prepared to take photos at an instant's notice. Your camera will have to face the elements! I barely even used my case while on the game drives, it was abandoned on the floor, because I just had to have the camera ready at all times. I think if you have the filter on, and dust off the lens now and then, you will be OK if you then take your camera for a professional cleaning when you get home.

Search this Thread