Camel racing - Doha (Qatar)

Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:38 AM
Ging

Camel racing - Doha (Qatar)

I'll be in Qatar (Doha) April 18 - 20. Does anyone know if there's any camel racing on during that time? If so where?

Thanks,

Apr 22nd, 2001, 02:39 AM
Ging

Well there was no camel racing, that ends beginning of April and starts again in October, but you could go to see the stables and watch the training runs. Horseracing (mainly Arabians) still on (in the early morning to avoid the heat).

I hired a 4 wheel drive and driver and went on trip over high sand dunes to the Inland Sea. The only thing to compare this driving on soft sand with, is a constant 4 hour car skid or ski-ing in a vehicle. Amazing. Also the angle of vehicle as you crossed the dunes certainly made you see life differently. Most vehicles have incline meters as you really are at the max angle.

The museum is excellent (ex-royal palace) with many exhibits and a large pool on which float a variety of dhows. Souks are typical of many souks in this part of the world with exception of the gipsum art which I had never seen before. Even the big hotels were festooned with this very attractive decoration.

Temperature quite low compared to surrounding countries. There are many excellent restaurnats some with wonderful views across the bay. Al-Qalaa Restaurant was quite unique architecturally and the terrace at Al-Bander Fish Restaurant was beautiful as you're at the water's edge. Big hotels serve alcohol but smaller restaurants offer juice only. Golf Club worth a visit as the higher terrace catches sea breezes and the view is quite splendid (greens and gulf).

There are a couple of forts, burial mounds, other museums, dhow trips. Visas available from hotels (7 days notice required, cost around QR:300).
I doubt many people go to Qatar but thought I'd put something on here in case of future searches.

Search this Thread